Blocked Track question

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Another newbie question...

I have seperated my switching track from the main line with two plastic couplers. Is that good enough insulation to run the switch line with one powerpack and the mainline with another powerpack allowing for two engines to be independantly controlled?

Thanks

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
You have now separated the track into 2 electrical blocks so you can run 2 engines separately.
You will have a little problem if you want to move one from the yard to the main line (you need somewhere to stash the other loco.) Of course, it's no problem if you keep them where they started.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Blocked track

Thank you for the information...

I thought I'd have one area to move cars around the industrial area and feed cars to the mainline that way my kids and I can get the most of out the layout. I will just move the cars up to the blocked track area and pass them off to the mainline engines.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One neat trick to move trains from the yard to the mainline is to put a track between the yard and mainline that is powered through a double pole double throw switch with center off. In one position, power is supplied by the yard throttle, in the other position the track is powered by the mainline throttle. You could then push cars onto that track with the yard switcher, and then take the switcher back to the yard and pick up the train with the mainline power.