Block Wiring DCC?

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
A decoder is the best answer. If you use a dead block in between you have to switch it so that it can't be accidentally powered either way. Sooner or later there will be an accident.

Jeff

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Woodie said:
If I recall correctly, and I'm pretty vague on this, but I read in my DCC command station and decoder info that there is a specific function (to do with signalling) that allows you to have sections of DC track.

I knew I read about it somewhere. About having DC sections of track with DCC operations.

It's with TCS decoders.

Brake on DC - Brake on DC is a feature of all TCS loco decoders and describes the way in which the decoder will respond when the signal supplied to the decoder is switched off and instantaneously replaced by a DC voltage. The decoder will slow the loco at the deceleration rate programmed into CV4. When DCC power is switched back on the loco will automatically accelerate at the rate set in CV3. The system allows for automatic control of DCC locos as part of block control, for example. With a train detection circuit sensing when a train has entered a block and with the switch from DCC to DC power to loco will smoothly decelerate to a stop. When the way is clear and the block is released the DCC signal is restored and the loco smoothly accelerates on its way. Such a system of automatic block control equipment is made, for example, by Bitswitch. Note that to enable the Brake On DC feature in TCS decoders analogue mode must be disabled. This means that Bit 2 of CV29 must be cleared. Do this by writing a value of 2 into CV29. For more information about CV29 click here.

From http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/TCSDecoders1.htm

It doesn't really address green_elite's original question, but does indicate legitimate use of a combination of DC power and a DCC system.