BLI Switchers finally out!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by spitfire, Jan 29, 2005.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I have been anxiously waiting for the Broadway Limited NW2/SW7 ever since they first announced it 2002 for December release. The release date got pushed forward quite a few times since then, but they're finally out and I have one!!! :D Runs very smoothly at low speed, has all the bells and whistles (plus coupling/uncoupling, dynamic brakes, 8 notches etc).

Only a few roadnames are offered, so I'm busy re-painting mine to Canadian National livery - black with CN yellow.

Proto 2000 have announced a line of switchers with DCC sound as well, and they will have CN and CP in early and late paint schemes (as well as a bunch of other roadnames). Release of those is about 9 months away.

2. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

From what I had seen on a few "write-up's", the common flaw seemed to be that it's sound was low in volume... but I have two other BLI lokeys, and I didn't think the sound on my new NW-2 was that far off the mark. Like Val says , it runs smoothly and will pull 14 cars (my present rolling stock inventory...) quite nicely. It is a neat little switcher, and it has darn good sound's.

Bob :thumb:
  3. moria

moria Member

LOL greetings:)

I got mine today.. the dealer got them in yesterday in Markham:)

I got an undec SW and am doing mine in 1950's GTW black and yellow with a few detauils to turn it into an SW9. Interestingly, the SW7's have a twin headlight, but the undecs have a single headlight (like the NW2's), which is exactly what I needed for my GTW one. (and yes I did check I have an undec SW not an NW.. the front grills are different, as are the side grills)

Mine also runs great.. a bit growly, but that will no doubt become quiter with a bit of lub and running in.

Sound was great, although I have lowered the volume on the horn a little.. it was quite penetrating:)

As my first HO locomotive, I am very impressed.

4. billwv

billwv Member

Where did you see that p2k will release switchers with sound?
    Are there more details?

5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Bill, I saw it at the LHS. Being mostly interested in CN and CP I didn't make note of the other roadnames, but if there's one you're interested in I can ask next time I'm there. The only other details I can recall are that it's the QSI sound system. They were taking deposits for advance reservations, but since it's not due out for 9 months I decided to wait.

6. interurban

interurban Active Member

Looking forward to playing with that loco on our visit :thumb:
  7. billwv

billwv Member

Thanks for the offer. I just buy the colors I like -- maybe some day I'll pick a road and re-paint -- not at that point yet.

8. moria

moria Member

Val, greetings :)

I just had a look inside my SW7.. I mentioned it was a bit growly yesterday.

I discovered mine had been shipped "dry" no grease, lube or anything.

You may want to have a look at yours before it gets too many road miles on it, just in case. A drop of Labelles 108 on each gear train worked wonders :thumb:

Personally I would rather it was shipped "dry" than with grease everywhere.. but it would be nice to have a warning on the box.

It may however be a one off, but I thought it worth mentioning:)

9. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Hi Graham

Thanks for the heads up. The manual says they are pre-lubed. I'm wondering if it's because yours was an undecorated model. Maybe they didn't lube it in case some got onto the shell and made it too hard to paint. Anyway, it's definitely worth looking into, so thanks for letting me know. :thumb:

10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

You bet Chris!!

11. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Ditto on the Thanks, Graham... I checked my Great Northern model (NW-2) and it was dry also. As you said, Val.. the manual said it was lubed, and BLI's site says that the NW-2/SW-7 switchers are equipped with a "dual speaker" sound system. (Me thinks they need to do some proof reading...).

I also heard that BLI "changed horses in mid-stream" with these switcher models, as about half way through, they switched the assembly site from China to Korea. (I was told that the ones marked Korea seem to have more problems...)

I think I'll pop open my BLI Mikado, and my BLI E-7A to check their lube, also !

Bob :confused:
  12. billwv

billwv Member

I popped the top off of mine and it looks dry, also. Theres a small hole over the back worm gear. I assume this is where you could add a drop of lube??

But no way to get to the front gears? Do you have to take everything apart --
    Or, does the gear cover on the bottom of the trucks snap off?

If you can help, I would appreciate it. I'm new at this and don't want to ruin it.

13. moria

moria Member

Bill :)

Yep, the front is awful to get to, because its below all the electronics and the speaker.

Honestly, my advice is leave it be.

I actually added some to the front bogie (I hope) by gently inserting a long needle with a drob of lube on it fronm the side of the loco into the region where I thought the gears would be and then ran it a bit..

Getting to the front bogie would be a total dismantle job.

Even getting all the cab parts seperated ready for painting was an interesting little excercise:)

14. billwv

billwv Member

Thanks Graham,

I was leaning in that direction -- will take your advice!

15. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Bill... Sorry for the slow response, but I've been out most of the day. I have sent BLI an e-mail message requesting info on the best way to lube the front drive... I'll share any response I get from them.

16. billwv

billwv Member

Thanks Bob,

I'll look for that. And leave it alone for now.

Appreciate the help!

17. Ellis J-R

Ellis J-R New Member

BLI Switchers

Only found this site to-day and all very interesting as I got my SW7 the other day, and a friend had his NW2. However we had a problem that I do not see mentioned. We only have DC and both of our locos had been wired with reverse polarity so went in the wrong directon compared with normal. We contacted the dealer who tested the two he still had in stock and both were wired incorrectly. He contacted BLI and was informed a whole lot were incorrectly wired. No problems with DCC apparently and the wires can be switched in the loco to correct it. My loco was, and think all the others were, made in China. Any one else had this problem? I have no idea how big a lot were wrong. Maybe BLI forgot to tell the factory that in a switcher, unlike most other US diesels, the cab end is not the front and they wired them as if it was! The wrong polarity aside, the loco ran very smoothly and, and apart from the electronically generated noise, silently. Very impressed.
  18. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Hi Ellis and welcome to the Gauge!!! :wave:

The problem you're decribing is being discussed on every model railroad bulletin board around as we speak (!). Broadway is aware of the problem and will re-wire your engine if you ship it back to them. (Dunno why they couldn't do it before they shipped, but that's another story). There are also instructions for re-wiring if you'd rather do it yourself and not wait.

Setting CV variables for momentum fixes the problem too, but I'm not sure if this is only a DCC fix. I wonder what would happen if you set the momentum on a DCC programming track (say at the LHS) and then ran on DC.

You might also want to check out this thread describing how to get the shell off the unit and re-wire.

19. Ellis J-R

Ellis J-R New Member

Thanks for reply. Not so easy to send back to US from UK for rewiring without riskof getting Customs charged when sent back here. A few years ago I'd have had the body off and wires switched pronto but at 80+ my fingers are not as nimble as they were so not risking it. Hopefull there will be a re-run and I'll bet the wiring will be correct.
    Cheers, Ellis
  20. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Do you have a local hobby shop with someone who might be able to do the rewiring for you?