"Better service to our customers" -> Uh, oh! Danger, Will Robinson...!

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Well. Finally (after paying the bribe), I have sent this email complaining to USPS.
I'm pretty sure that they will use it as "electronic toilet paper" but, I'm also sure that there are many others that have suffered similar issues. If enough of this guys send complaints about it, maybe the USPS would take it in account.
(If not, this is after all a way of vent out the frustration...)

Dear Sir/Madam

I put in your knowledge the following facts related to the shipment of parcels to Europe. My apologies in advance for my poor domain of english. I will try to explain it in a simple way.
I know that the USPS' european partnerships behaviour are far out of your control, but maybe USPS can find a way of minimize their annoying effects.

The things are, that USPS (you) have reached an agreement with a private european courier whereby USPS hand over to them ALL the parcels addresed to Europe in order to "give better service to the customers".

This people (General Parcel Services, and their spanish subsidiaire, Extand Sistema) are only a new -private- intermediare more in the mail chain, and their business appears to be in generate more paperwork (the most of times, unnecesary or already paid by the U.S. stamps fee) and then asking the addresee (me) for pay additional fees (like custom clearance duties, that until now were managed by our Postal service without require additional payments from the addresee, apart to the due import taxes if it were any).

In my opinion, their behaviour is also like the pirates asking for ransom: When they get your package, they send to the addressee (me) a mail letter indicating the fact and asking to return this letter, by mail or fax, with full details and the (my) agreement to them for doing the custom clearance and all sort of alternate duties. Only the fax # of reply is indicated in this letter, no e-mail address nor telephone # where the addresee can contact them and ask about further details or alternatives. If you are lucky enough to find in Internet their e-mail address and write to them, they never reply to your emails. To be noted that, this all letter notice issue delays a lot the delivery of parcels, so the new service is "worst" instead of "better".

After being contacted by telephone, they refused my alternate suggestions (hand over the parcel to the spanish Postal service or
to refer it to an independent custom agent of my confidence for managing the custom clearance duties). At the end, their message to the addresee is clear: "We have your parcel. If you want it, you must let us to manage it our way and pay us for this and that. If you don't do that, in ten labour days we will return it to the sender". These are a really bad business practices.

Curiously, some packages "escape" GPS/ES net and continue their european travel via the countries Postal services: Some months ago, I was contacted by GPS/ES about giving my agreement to them for the clearance of a package that, funny enough, had been already received two weeks BEFORE via the spanish Postal service without requiring any paperwork (green stamp).

This is why, I have asked to my U.S. providers to stamp in their shipments the following notice:
<<<IMPORTANT! To be managed in Spain by the spanish Postal service.
NOT HAND OVER TO General Parcel Services / Extand Sistema>>>

Please, take the necessary policies in order to have GPS/ES respecting this will of your customers.

Thanks for your patience and attention. Best Regards.
Javier Tel

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Well, Javier, now you've gone and done it... You'll have the International Postal System Conspiracy after you! Yeah, you'll be walking down the street one day when some people in postal uniforms will jump out of an alley and drag you off. Then someone will find you laying in the gutter...<shudder>...covered in stamps and tied up with packing tape!

(I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theorist. I'm just tired of people plotting and planning to get me.)

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Originally posted by roryglasgow
Then someone will find you laying in the gutter...<shudder>...covered in stamps and tied up with packing tape!
LOL!!
I could use a free mail to Bahamas (or New Zealand, or...) :D :D :D

It would be nice to put myself inside a big box (like the Gauge's one) and have a friend to send me by mail. :p
But then I remember this GPS/ES guys and I have images of me starving into a warehouse because the addressee don't pay the clearance!!! :eek: :mad: :eek:
Better next time... ;)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
" When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, It is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, Laying its foundations on such principles and organizing its power in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."- in congress, July 4, 1776

Many of the reasons stated in this "declaration" have very close similarities with conditions existing in government today. These words, 227 years old, are as applicable now as they were then, and to me, as sacred.-------------
Sumpter gets off his soap box, and puts it away again.................till next time.

Ravensfan

Oct 16, 2002
planet earth
Visit site
Re: minority opinion

Originally posted by YakkoWarner
For forty-five cents, someone will come to my house, pick up an envelope and deliver it to anywhere in the United States. I think thats a prety good deal.

For packages, I use fed-ex.

45 cents?! I only pay 37 cents. The problem with the US Postal system and that small fee is that there is no guarantee and no way of tracking the letter, package, etc. If you want those services you will have to pay a minimum of about $4.00. (This is the service that FedEx and UPS offers on all packages.) Not such a great bargain at that price.

Ravensfan

Oct 16, 2002
planet earth
Visit site
Originally posted by alex_mrrkb
I live in Canada and I ALWAYS use USPS, never UPS or FEDEX.

If I want to use FEDEX or UPS I have to send the package at the office (I don't like that) because they both (all?) require me to be present to receive the shippement (I live in an appartment building and the mailboxes are too small).

I had to discover this the hard way, I order some stuff and it was shipped dy UPS, when I came home there was a "Post-It" on the building door saying I had to call them to arrange a delivery, and if I didn't called in three days they would send the package back ! I had to call and re-direct the package to my workplace and it tooke another week before it finally arrived.

In the USA, UPS will delivery without having to sign for it, and if you get one of those Post-Its, there is a place to sign and you just put it back on the door and UPS will deliver without you being there.

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Fortunately, or unfortunately, my experience has been that USPS, UPS and FedEx all have their ups and downs. I live in the US, about five minutes from my local Post Office, ten minutes from my local UPS depot, and FedEx will pick up at my door. Which one I use depends on what I am sending, where it is going, and how fast it has to be there. There's no one best answer; but you just have to use whatever you think best at the time.