best thing about a train is

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by cidchase, Oct 6, 2006.

1. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

2. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Seems he was...

...doin' just fine until the Po Po showed up.

(hell, I do my best work goin' in the opposte direction what I should be)
  3. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Yikes. I might need to rethink my desire to move to Australia ...
  4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Dang, that must take some skill to drive backwards for 12 miles and he was planning on going 310!!
    Man, what was he thinking??sign1sign1
  5. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

I drive much better backwards than forwards. I once drag raced backwards. Car topped out at about 45 (or so we thnk) so I lost the race. But it was a sight to see. sign1
  6. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Glad you brought this up...I've asked elsewhere if steamers did indeed run in reverse just as well as they did forward?? I've read that it was not uncommon, particularly in short lines, for an engine to make a return trip in reverse since they sometimes didn't have a way to turn around at the end of the run. Anybody shed some light on this??

Gus (LC&P).
  7. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

This is a good question. I think several ergonomic factors would make extended reverse operation more difficult, e. g.,
    the wind into the open cab, the throttle and brake arrangement, forward visibility, probably others. And they likely
    would not push a train very fur or very fast on a main line (altho I think I've read that they do now on some lines.)

I don't know, but assume, that valve timing would also affect the performance and efficiency of reverse operation,
    unless it was compensated in some manner. It would be interesting to read more about this.