Bachmann Steam Locomotive

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Nscalemodeler, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Nscalemodeler

Nscalemodeler Member

Can anyone tell me what is the quality of the Bachmann steam locomotives? I am looking for a Great Northern 4-8-4 with Vandy tender, but don't have a lot of cash to spend right now. Here is the specific item I am asking about. Is this unit decent, or is it not worth the money. Thank you in advance for the help.

[​IMG] Bachmann
    4-8-4, With Tender
    Great Northern
    Item Number 160-58161
    N Scale
  2. Tad

Tad Member

I have a Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation and it is outstanding.

I don't have a 4-8-4 but a friend of mine has one of the 4-8-4's and he is pleased with it.
  3. theBear

theBear Member

I have one from the mid '80s that is a very good puller.

It was the first loco I ran as loco 0 with my new DCC system. With a bit of cleaning, a small amount of lube, and fiddling with driver wheel gauge it still is a real nice hauler.

I don't know about any of the newer units, so I won't comment anymore than I have.
  4. absnut

absnut Member

I have had several of the older Bachmann 4-8-4's and had pretty good luck with them. On three of them, I added tender pick-up which improved performance. I would recommend you look for one of the newer releases, though, as they have an improved motor, improved pick-up, and blackened wheels and drivers. The new frames are also all metal. The new issues can be identified by the packaging..... they come in clear plastic "trays" inside the box. I don't know if the one with the Vandy tender is available with the new works but, the standard ATSF with 16 wheel tender is.

5. Nscalemodeler

Nscalemodeler Member

Thank you all, for the information. I think I'll try it and see how it goes.