Bachman Spectrum Steam?

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,I am asking this for a Friend and would also like to mention that 90% of the local N Scalers are die hard diesel fans and the other 10% is either anti Bachmann or lacks knowledge of this line of steamers like I do..
My buddy is interested in the 2-8-0,4-8-2 and 2-6-6-2.
I know the HO Spectrum engines are nice and smooth runners but,again no real knowledge since I am a diesel fan.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Larry!

There is a good reason that most N scalers model the diesel era...N scale steam still has a long way to go before it even comes close to the quality that is avaiable in HO...
As far as I'm concerned, the only plastic N scale steamers that are worth noting are the Bachman Spectrum (forget about the other stuff from Bachman) & Kato (some of theirs are Japanese prototypes, buy they do make a very nice US style 2-8-2 Mikado, or "Mike")
I was at the LHS the other day, & was looking at a 2-6-0 made by Atlas...It ran alright...Boy, did it ever! On the test track, I couldn't get it to go any slower than about 40 scale mph...
That Bachman 2-8-0, though, is one sweet little engine! I could run mine all the way around my layout pulling a coal drag crawling along at 5 scale mph...a beautiful sight indeed! :thumb:

FiveFlat

Dec 26, 2005
Galt, CA
I have the Bachmann standard 2-6-2 and it is a great runner. I finally broke down and made it a 0-6-0 and it runs even better now, without the front truck hanging up on me.

glenn railey

Aug 7, 2005
Georgia
I also have a N guage Spectrum 2-8-0. It is a really great little horse. It will pull 8 cars up a a 1 inch grade in a foot with no problems. It works just as well at a slow crawl as it does with a full head of steam.

It can be seen on my thread on this board titled a wainter mountain layout. I really like mine. A very nice engine.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
I have 3 of the Bachmann Spectrum 280s and 2 of the Kato Mikes. All very good performers, very quiet, good pulling power, and look good as well. I obtained one with a decoder from Tony's and am waiting to put DCC in the rest. I don't know about the others that you mentioned but I think that your friend would be pleased with the 280.

skipgear

May 15, 2005
IMO the Bachmann Spec 2-8-0 is the best N-scale steam loco you can buy, period. The Kato Mikado is right there with it but after talking to real world customers that come in the shop I work at, the Kato doesn't come close to the pull of the 2-8-0 even with the optional traction tires. The Kato is touted as hands down the best N steam by many forumers but I think it is a carry over from the strong Kato diesel following. I know my 2-8-0 will pull 40+ cars on level track without struggling.

I have one of the 4-8-2's and 2 of the 2-6-6-2's also. The 2-8-0 out performs all of them. The 4-8-2 is everybit as smooth as the 2-8-0 but doesn't have the same pulling power. The 2-6-6-2's I have are both beautiful, smooth runners, but light pullers. There have been many that have had issues with the 2-6-6-2's on code 55 track but the most recent run of them seems to have cured most of the early issues.

The best thing about the Bachmann's....Lifetime Warranty....If you buy one and you don't think it is quite right, send it back to Bachmann and they will send you another loco, track tested. The second best thing about the Bachmann's is that you can actually buy them. Bachmann continues to produce them and is not a "limited release" production schedule. The Kato's have been sold out for a long time, there are a few shops that still have them but that number is shrinking fast.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Thanks Guys! :thumb: For a update he decided to go with the 2-8-0 and ordered 3 yesterday and plans on ordering 2-3 more..His plans call for a coal hauling short line set in West Virginia and will be based on the Buffalo Creek & Gauley.His road will handle some freight as well.Of course he hasn't came up with a name yet.
BTW..The BC&G 2-8-0s was built using C&O's G9 2-8-0s plans. :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I have a Spectrum 2-8-0, it is a very smooth runner, and actually will negotiate a 9" radius curve, and a 4% grade.
Other locos of note, LifeLike Heritage series 2-8-4, and 2-8-8-2. I have one of the 2-8-8-2s and it runs well, I have seen the 2-8-4 and it runs just a bit better.
We were using a Model Power pacific to test the trackwork of a layout being built for a customer. it slipped a driver, and wound up a siderod.
pete