Bachman Spectrum 2-6-6-2 Articulated make 17" curve?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by planeshavings42, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Bachman Spectrum 2-6-6-2 Articulated make 18" curve?

Hello all, I am looking to buy a Bachman Spectrum Articulated 2-6-6-2, can anyone tell me if it will make a 18" curve? Also does anyone have this engine, and if so are you happy with it? E-Mail:[/SIZE]
  2. ross31r

ross31r Member

it will make it around a 22"

anything (more or less) will take a 36" curve without any hestiation.
  3. sorry, I Meant To Say 18" Curve?? :(
  4. GeorgeHO

GeorgeHO Member

I bought a 2-6-6-2 from Star Hobbies (Annapolis) at the Greenbergs train Show in Timonium for the show special price of $125. It was defective (new in sealed box) with a driver wheel what would hop up at a certain spot in its rotation. Took it back and got another sealed box in exchange. That second locomotive worked great on 18 inch radius curves. Bought another weeks later at the store for the same price, so now I own 2. Don't have anything set up to see it perform under stress, (long trains up grades), but one guy at the show who had purchased one said it was a great performer for him, 30 cars up 2% grade. My switching layout 2x8 has 15 inch radius sidings, so I will test it to see if it can handle extremely tight radiuses. I never planned to run the loco on those sidings, but now I will have to check it out completely and report back. I actually have used the loco in a practice session, and it worked fine, but it was too long for my sidings to fit on a lead track with 2 cars, so I had to scale down to one car at a time.
  5. Hello George, thank you for the great feedback, I'll be ANXIOUSLY awaiting your test, by the by, is yours Bachmann? just curious. I was reading the info on Athearn's 4-6-6-4, and they specificaly claim it will work on an 18" curve, but theirs is twice as money as the Baachmann spectrum. Bachman doesn't specify on their website, and I've E-mailed them, but have had no reply.
    Thanx Again
  6. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

I have one of the bachman 2-6-6-2 and love it. It pulls good runs smooth and looks good. I use it to pick up & deliver coal cars on a branch line that has no level track and little straight track. It is stricktly used in the district. One day it got dispatched out into the system and the next shift dispatch was left empty handed, he threw a fit used some explisitives then used a 0-8-0 switcher. It took 2 trips to do it. An order has been placed to Richmond for a second one but not much hope for it right now. Everything is stretched pretty thin $$.Oh yea he got the 2-6-6-2 back in a couple of days.

7. Thank's for the feedback Less, by the by are any of the curves you run on as tight as 18?

8. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

No, I am not sure of exactly what they are but none that tight. Just a quick shot of it working hard.

Duane :thumb:
  10. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Then you'll be impressed with the smooth, quiet, where's my "tsunami".
    Oh yeah, I have one of the Spectrum 2-6-6-2 s and love it!
  11. Thank's for the feedback Pete, I can hardly wait till I receive it, I've saved a long time to order it. Have you by any chance installed a DCC Decoder in it?

Duey :D
  12. robert1

robert1 New Member

I just got one a week ago. Runs very nice and i have all 18in radius track. No problem running with 21 cars. Have about 8 of the new Spectrum steam and love to run them all.

13. Hey, that's the best new's i've had in forever. I went ahead and ordered it without knowing for sure is it was going to work or not. So far you're the third one that has has replied and loved their Bachman articulated locomotives. According to UPS mine will be here Thursday, and although I wouldn't admit it to the wife, i'm thinking i'll have a hard time going to sleep wednesday night.
    Thank's Again Bob.

Duane :thumb: :wave: