Aurora Borealis (Off Topic)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
These great shots were taken from Labrador January 2005.
Sent to me by an old friend from my trailer park days. :thumb:
One day I will see this show one day, :thumb: one day. :thumb:

Attachments

• 1766jan105.jpg
    1766jan105.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 1789jan205.jpg
    1789jan205.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 1835jan1105.jpg
    1835jan1105.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1843jan1105.jpg
    1843jan1105.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 1884jan1705.jpg
    1884jan1705.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 14
I'm surprised you haven't seen it from your area, Chris. I've seen them from up here, in the Adirondacks, just at a slightly more Northern latitude. If you're in a city or large town, the electric lights will wash them out. The shows I've seen haven't been quite as vibrant as in the photos, more like greeinsh-white draperies across the sky. Still, something that is quite amazing. Our local public radio station has Northern Lights alerts. When someone spots them & calls the station, they make an on-air announcement.

Wayne

Livesteam said:
cool, what is it?

Without having to move the thread to the "Technical Q & A" forum, the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis (and several other names) is the result of particles from solar flares & explosions that hurtle towards earth & collide with gasses in our atmosphere. The energy from the collision results in a light particle being emitted. Millions of these collisions result in a visual aurora.

Not only are these visually dazzling, the process is actually protecting us earthlings from the harmful particles the Sun is throwing at us.

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That is something. Eerie is the first word to come to mind, but dazzling is another. I doubt that they will ever reach us here in the Sonoran Desert, so thank you Chris for sharing this with us.:thumb:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
My father was stationed in the Northwest territories in the late sixies and early seventies. He would describe the Northern lights as not just green cvolors but many different colors and you could actually hear them making a crackling sound at night.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Cool Chris....

And don't give up hope - you can see them very occasionally in S. Ontario. I remember seeing a display of red and yellow and green Northern Lights in Oakville when I was in high school.

Andrew

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
My grandfather was an arctic explorer in the late 19th - early 20th centuries, and his field notes frequently described the aurora with a sort of awed reverence. And he often described them exactly as Glen says.

Thanks, Chris, for sharing those pix.

Bill S