Athearn CF7 Iowa Northern

CNWGP38

Jun 5, 2004
I just purchased a Iowa northern CF7. I am very pleased with this locomotive as it is a small branch line that travels through a short section of northeast Iowa. I think it is pretty cool of Athearn to make this locomotive, since the RR is very small. I see these locomotives daily as they travel through a town I'm a policeman in. It runs like an athearn, it has the typical growl, but to me this is a collectors item. Check them out the bright yellow scheme is not hard to miss.:D :D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Those Athearn CF7s are the crown jewel of the Athearn RTR locomotives IMHO. :thumb: I have 5 of these beasties and love 'em..My latest addition is a Indiana Railroad unit.The other four I painted in my C&HV colors..
I was highly please when these units ran very smooth and slow straight from the box. :thumb:
BTW I added MU hoses to my C&HV units by using the Atlas GP38/40 MU hoses that I ordered..I cut off the mounting nob,file it smooth and glued in place-fast and easy with no holes to drill. :D Now my next project will be to add cab interiors since there seems to be lots of room.. :D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have one in LAJ for the switching layout I'm going to build at home, once my layout room is ready. I also have an undecorated railpower products shell with a railpower frame. I was going to do it in LAJ until Athearn saved me a lot of trouble. Now I need to come up with a private industrial design for it.