Astro Racers - Across The Universe

Discussion in 'Jan Rukr's Astro Racer and Independent Entries' started by Alien99, Oct 21, 2012.

1. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

I would epoxy cardboard, like a harness, to hold the magnet to hold it in place. Glues and Epoxy's are mechanical attachments, and can come loose.
    Sky Seeker likes this.
  2. zathros

I used to build Laser Cubes used for the alignment of production lines. These things cost $80,000 dollars a piece. The prisms inside where held in by a proprietary epoxy system, I have never see anything like this. However, if you dropped oe of these cubes onto a concrete floor, the prison would break loose. I suggested a simple aluminum bracket, held in with machine screw, and the epoxy was poured over the bracket and the prism. When dropped, the prison no longer broke lose, and there was no evidence that the epoxy had lost it's grip. I believe the bracket adsorbed the initial shock and this allowed the epoxy to continue it's bond. The problem was that the epoxy was so strong, it was brittle, there was an exchange of electrons between the glass and the metal, so when it broke off, the plate and the prism had to be discarded, meaning complete reconstruction of the laser alignment cube. Just another fun fact. ;)
    Sky Seeker likes this.
  3. Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker Well Established Member

That's way too cool! Thanks for sharing this Z!

Sky Seeker
  4. zathros

Thanks for actually reading my blathering. :)
    Sky Seeker likes this.