army tanks and equipment

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Petervan, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Petervan

Petervan Member

Hi my layout is starting to get into the detailing stage. so I am think of putting tanks and equipment on a base scene and flat cars. it is still in the planning stage. Has any one made one or has any idea's. I like to have it dated from post war world 2 to the late 60's or early 70's. If there is any models and/or model kits out there.:mrgreen:
  2. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

You may want to check out this modular group.. If I remember correctly, one of the members has an extensive army base with a lot of military equipment.

(It is the Mt. Rainier Modular RR Club in the Pacific Northwest)

I have used some of the 1:144 scale tanks that I found at Walmart for some of my loads. I believe Roco makes military N-scale models and Micro-Trains also has been releasing military trains and loads. I don't know if they are still available, but auction sites are a good possibility for locating some.

I also found this thread on Trainboard that you may find interesting.

Hope that helps.
  3. TrainGuyRom

TrainGuyRom Member

I don't know much about military, but you can use toys! Walgreens sells almost-N Military vehicals in a 5 pack for $6 or $7. Some say they don't look real at all, but maybe with some super detailing you could make them look better.

I'm on a budget, don't have a good selection of tools, or the skill to make them look much better. But i'm sure it's possible.

4. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

A friend of mine sent me this pics from Germany, the are WW-II but boy are they interesting. I have a few more but the last one will give you the mega size of that engine.

Attached Files:

5. S class

S class Member

Ze reich shall rise again!!

oh man i hope i diddn't offend anyone with that one
  6. ytter_man

ytter_man Member

I thought that was just G scale at first... Wow! Must be 7.5" or 7.25" gauge.
  7. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

This a GI-Joe size diorama, Some of those Action figures go for $60-$70 dollars a piece. I have not the faintest clue as to how much that engine cost, the rails, the post, the tanks and other items which do not come with the figures. If I ever win the lottery, I could probably afford to have a backyard big enough to make it into a diorama like that. This is what I call dedication to the hobby, Retired, no kids, no wife. Hey! wait a minute, that sounds like me, but I still can't afford it.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

I've seen their layouts before - it's 1/8 scale.