Anyone Else Notice?

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
While reading some back issues of MR I made and observation and wondered if anyone else noticed. In the May 2003 issue (p. 87), they posted a diagram for turnout wiring that incorrectly showed the rails beyond the frog changing polarity when the position of the points changed.

In the July 2003 issue (p. 13), they noted the error and posted a "corrected diagram." However, unless I'm going crazy, the "corrected" diagram is exactly the same as the first. The rails beyond the frog still show to change polarity.

Am I missing something?

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I haven't seen the diagram you mention, but did they perhaps add gaps on the second version? Depending on the turnout they were talking about, the polarity of the frog(and rails beyond the frog) does change with the throw of the points.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
I haven't seen the diagram you mention, but did they perhaps add gaps on the second version? Depending on the turnout they were talking about, the polarity of the frog(and rails beyond the frog) does change with the throw of the points.

They had gaps in both diagrams. I think it was just an OOPS. No big deal...I just thought it was interesting.

BUT, while the polarity of the frog can and will change, the polarity of the rails beyond the frog should never change...otherwise you'd have two rails of the same polarity (at least that's the case according to how they drew it).

I'd scan the diagrams and post them here, but I don't know if that's legal or not.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hoss, the polarity of the rails beyond the frog will change if the gaps aren't there. Of course, it is more likely that you would find yourself with a dead short if the gaps aren't there and you've wired a drop to that diveging rail downstream somewhere.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
Hoss, the polarity of the rails beyond the frog will change if the gaps aren't there. Of course, it is more likely that you would find yourself with a dead short if the gaps aren't there and you've wired a drop to that diveging rail downstream somewhere.

True, but they showed the gaps. It's no big deal really....just a funny observation I guess. :)