Any Surviving NYC Hudsons?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
:eek:ops: I know NYC had a slew of them, I also know they removed their cool streamlined shrouding in 1946...but did any survive to be seen today? In all my thoughts, I cannot remember hearing about one either running or in museum, where did they all go? The torch? Some insight needed please i you'd be so kind! :)

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
And another Mohawk in St Louis. The only other steam is small stuff. They did have a lot of Hudsons, but only 10 streamlined in the Century scheme. A few others in earlier schemes.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
I remember shaking my head when a British writer in "Railway" mag complained that there were only five engines of a particular class preserved !! Still hard to believe no NYC Hudsons were preserved. Northern Pacific 4-8-4 2626 (the "Timken" engine) was scrapped (were any NP Northerns preseved??), there are several others....Milwaukee streamlined 4-4-2's for example.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I think it would have been especially difficult to preserve the steamlined locos, as they were all "unstreamlined" in the late 30s or early 40s due to maintenance difficulties and other "operational issues". The streamlining shrouds preceded the locos to the scrap yard (or to be remanufactured)... :(

Andrew