Any Doc Savage Fans here? I need some input.

Lee Clifton

Wisdom and Kindness, A Zealot Sage
I don't know if we have any Doc Savage Fans here. I need some input. Finally found all 181 original pulp stories online as epub books. Started reading then about a month ago and have finished 15 of them so far. Loved them as a teen when they first came out in paperback books in the 1960s. I've started researching to see if I can make a set of custom action figures to display in my art studio. I've rescaled Gary Pilsworth's Henderson Motorcycle to match up with a 6 to 7 inch action figure. If you are a Doc fan what other paper models do you think would match up to vehicles used in the books. I know Doc has a fleet of cars, airplanes, and autogyros. There is a lighter than air ship called the Amberjack and a futuristic submarine called the Helldiver. Since the time era is 1930s-1940s I figured Doc might have planes like a Lockheed Electra, and a Ford Tri-Motor. With his inventions he would probably have an experimental jet or rocket plane. Two books have mentioned an autogyro with a body to carry six people which I imagine would be an early helicopter. Any ideas or suggestions. I'll scale the models to 1/12 to match the figures. I've been designing a wall display of pulp era downtown New York City and I may populate it with my custom action figures and use the vehicles as props to decorate it.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I'd like to see that Henderson Motorcycle. there just aren't enough motorcycle models!

Lee Clifton

I'd like to see that Henderson Motorcycle. there just aren't enough motorcycle models!
Hey Z! I was the nut that got Garry to create the Henderson model. It is a cool bike. Very Art Deco. My next build after the Joker and Harley Clown Cars. I'd like to make Batman and Shadow versions too.

Lee Clifton

consider a Stagger Wing Beachcraft. Large enough to carry all of the cohort and would look lovely in a polished bronze finish.

TomW.
I looked it up and I like that one Tom. Can see that as a Doc Savage vehicle. I've been reading the pulp series and just got up to book 26. I'm still trying to figure out what his streamlined tri-motor plane would be. I was thinking Electra but its a twin engine. I just picked up a Triple H wrestling action figure to make into Doc Savage. He is close in height and build. The hair is close and I'll just have to remove the beard and repaint him. I create custom displays for action figures and props. I only make custom figures for myself. The fabulous five assistants will be the hard part.

t.l.williamsjr

Well, you could kitbash a twin with another engine in place of the nose, a little fairing work, et voila!, a streamlined tri-motor! I don't know but a dragon Rapide might work, or a tri-motor DC - 3.5. I'll be dipped if I know how I managed to have the numerals wind up dropped by a few points?

TomW.

I looked it up and I like that one Tom. Can see that as a Doc Savage vehicle. I've been reading the pulp series and just got up to book 26. I'm still trying to figure out what his streamlined tri-motor plane would be. I was thinking Electra but its a twin engine. I just picked up a Triple H wrestling action figure to make into Doc Savage. He is close in height and build. The hair is close and I'll just have to remove the beard and repaint him. I create custom displays for action figures and props. I only make custom figures for myself. The fabulous five assistants will be the hard part.

Lee Clifton

Well, you could kitbash a twin with another engine in place of the nose, a little fairing work, et voila!, a streamlined tri-motor! I don't know but a dragon Rapide might work, or a tri-motor DC - 3.5. I'll be dipped if I know how I managed to have the numerals wind up dropped by a few points?

TomW.

Thanks Tom. The Tri-motor DC 3.5 might work. I'll have to look into that one.

paper hollywood

Lee Clifton

Doc had a submarine, too. A fellow named Fred on the nautilussubmarine.com forum recently built an interpretation of it using a his own 3D design and printed it with Shapeways. I've seen a couple of versions of the sub in illustrations, a short and stubby one and a longer sleek one. Here's a link to the 1970s comic story that shows it: http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2013/10/grooves-faves-hell-diver-by-englehart.html.
A Google image search may bring up more.
Thanks for the link. I'll have to check my external drive and my backup DVDs. I think I have all of those comics in digital .cbr or .cbz comics. That streamlined version is the one I was thinking of. The short stubby version was from a comic called the Manual of Bronze, I think came out in the 1990s. Was always a fan of Ross Andru's artwork.
Thanks Tom. The Tri-motor DC 3.5 might work. I'll have to look into that one.
I looked and couldn't find the DC 3 on line and kindly Zathros told me it was in the download section. I'll work on doing a repaint to an all silver metal body and maybe make up a "SAVAGE EXPLORATIONS" logo. I found a store or office front at PaperMau's site that I wanted to rework for a false front for the Hildago Trading Company warehouse. He never finished his model that I could find but there was a computer rendering of the building front with door and windows. Heres a graphic. Not sure why he didn't finish the model.GENCO.OIL.FACADE.001.JPG

Lee Clifton

That graphic (Picture) could be used to make a model easily. :)
You know me. I'll take out the signs, add my logos, probably add a dirty window texture, and go from there. If you are a Doc Savage fan, I'm working on my own version of "The Hidalgo Trading Company" for the sign and windows. Picked up a couple of wrestling figures that I think I can make some custom Doc Savage action figures out of.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I could cut that up in Rhino 3D and put it back together, brick by brick, and it wouldn't be flat either!! :)