And So, Work Begins On The Logging Area...

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by Lighthorseman, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    After all the great suggestions, tracklaying has started on my small logging area. Here is a shot of the cork laid. As I'm so cheap, I just buy it by the foot at my local Revy Home store. Push pins hold it in place until it's dry. Since I have all that glue about, I tossed some sand down just for the texture.

    Attached Files:

  2. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    Next, I painted the cork with flat tan latex paint.

    Attached Files:

  3. shamus

    shamus Registered Member

    Looking good

    Aha, now Steve, your well into your logging area now. that tree stump, is that going to be where the heel boom will be later on.

  4. jon-monon

    jon-monon Active Member

    I think that's really going to be neat, Steve! I love seeing the "work in progress" shots; no better way for others to learn...
  5. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    Next Up...

    Shamus--So far, I think yes, the heel boom will go there. Of course, anything can happen.


    The next step for me was to cut and stain the ties. Instead of last time when I tried to stain each tie individually with a paint brush, this time I dipped them en masse into a jar, shook them up, and let them sit a while to soak up the stain. They were then driedand placed down mostly just to see what I was going to do. Happily, the track centre line was not totally covered by the latex paint.

    Attached Files:

  6. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    Glue 'Em Down!

    Next step was to glue down the ties. While I had all this white glue all spread out anyway, I took the opportunity to spread ballast as well. While I've not seen this done by others, it seemed like a good idea.

    Attached Files:

  7. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    Spike Delivery...

    First track was laid and spiked. After having spiked the rail too far to one side on my display diorama, I tried to be more careful with the rail placement this time.

    Attached Files:

  8. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    Both Rails Laid...

    As I laid the second rail, I was very careful to try to make sure that the gauge was correct. Using the ubiquitous NMRA track gauge and an HO car allowed constant checking as the rail was laid.

    Attached Files:

  9. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member


    The little Porter chugged happily up and down the short stretch of track. So much still to do, but I feel that I actually accomplished something today.

    Now...what about those blue cliffs?

    Attached Files:

  10. jon-monon

    jon-monon Active Member

    Right on Steve! Keep your LPB's busy spikin'!
  11. jkristia

    jkristia Member

    Re: Spike Delivery...

    Your track is looking really good. Funny that you had problems keeping your track aligned on you diorama. I had exactly the same problem on my little test layout, seems to be a "beginners problem" :)

    I think that ballasting immediately while the glue is wet is the right way to do it. I didn't do it as I was not sure how to weather it afterwards, but I will do it next time.

    Again, looking really good.

  12. sumpter250

    sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

    That little porter should be happy, that's some nice lookin' track to chug on. :) :) :)
  13. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    Ground "Goop"?

    Thanks, Pete! Having seen your work, I take that as a serious compliment.:)

    There was a thread about ground "goop", and I remember someone mentioned using a cellulose-type insulation. I tried this and was not happy. While it is likely GREAT for larger areas, it just didn't work here. It clumped up and I think that I had wanted something with a finer texture. Due to it's bulky nature, I think that this stuff definitely has uses...

    Attached Files:

  14. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    What I wound up doing...

    So,I ended up making a mixture of sifted dirt, white glue and water. I stirred it all up, and was able to spread it about with a spoon. I hope to be able to cover it in most places, and still be able to have "bare" spots where the dirt shows right through. It was also very handy for filling in the transition between the cork and the plywood, something the cellulose insulation simply could not do.

    Attached Files:

  15. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    Well, I didn't get too much done today, but that's what happens when you're up at 5:00 in the morning. Methinks we're getting close to rock time. Here's a mockup.:)

    Attached Files:

  16. jon-monon

    jon-monon Active Member

    Steve, I absolutely LOVE the rustic look of the ties. Hafta have you c'mon down to Cobblers Knob and hand lay a coupla hundred feet of HO fer me :D :D :D
  17. marty w.

    marty w. Member

    Very nice work!!!!
    :) :) :cool: :cool: :) :)
  18. Matthyro

    Matthyro Will always be re-membered

    Great progress Steve. I always admire those that handlay their track. It takes skill that I haven't devloped.
  19. Ty Rayles

    Ty Rayles Member

    Coming along real nice, can't wait to see it as more scenery gets done. :cool:
  20. Jim T

    Jim T Member

    Looks great, Steve. Please keep the progress pics coming. They really help a newbie like myself understand the whole building process. What a great time to be learning a new hobby what with all the great on-line info available.

    Cheers, Jim

Share This Page