Alternative source for detail parts

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Arlaghan, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

Was at Model Expo today... their train selection after the clearance blowout is abysmal, to put it nicely. However, I went for paints, tools, and building materials, so my visit was somewhat a success.

While there, I checked out their model ship detail parts: I purchased a couple sets of stanchions and some thin brass rods to see about making my own railings, here are the results:

Attached Files:

2. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

While there, I also picked up some chain that they had. Now... if you use N scale, the links on this chain are comparable (in length) to the "chain links" on the front of a modern Atlas N scale engine (though a bit thicker). The package says 42 links per inch.

For you HO'ers out there, I would imagine that this is gold!
  3. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Wow Arlaghan, those railings are great!

4. belg

belg Member

What's website address for Model expo? Love the railing by the way. Great use of material.
  5. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

railings look fine what company are they from?:)
  6. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

This is a LHS for me, but they are catalog/internet order first, retail store second, here is the website:

Click on "Fittings" (lower left in the orange menu)

The chain is under "Chain" (duh hehe) and it was $12.99.

The rails are composed of STANCHION, BRASS 2 HOLE 8MM 4 PK in the "Stanchion" category...

And thin brass rods (you probably can get this from your LHS) but for me it was $1.09 for five one-foot pieces in the "Metal Rods, Tubes & Wire" category of the 1/32" thickness (I believe).

The chain and stanchions (as well as a bunch of other cool stuff) is distributed by Model Shipways (which is owned by Model Expo) but they are manufactured in Italy - where all the cool Italian ship kits are manufactured.

EDIT: By the way, even though I model in N and got the 8MM stanchions, they have a whole bunch of sizes suitable for HO and even O scalers :D