About Sedona fires

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
It seems like every year we have a thread on the Arizona wildfires. This year was no different. One of the most devistating fires this year was in Sedona, a place of unparalled beauty. We visit there often and plan on going up there in the next few days to see just what damage had been done. In the meantime, some of you know that I write a monthly column for a newspaper in Cincinnati. I've got no ties to Cincinnati other than the newspaper I write for is owned by a friend of mine that I met of all places, on a Publishing forum here on the Net.
smile.gif

Anyway, here's my most recent article that was published last week. Maybe it will give you all an insight as to why I feel so strongly about the area.

OUT ARIZONA WAY: By Don Day <06 #7, 062606>
Campgrounds are gone

Shortly after we were married we took up camping. You know, out in the woods with nothing more than a cooler chest, a camp stove and a tent to commune with Mother Nature. It gets hot, really hot here on a summer day, so when Memorial Day comes around, it’s time to pull out the camping gear and pack up the station wagon ‘cause we know it’s going to be a good 20 to 30 degrees cooler up north. The smell of the pines, the crackle of a campfire, the sizzle of bacon cooking and the aroma of a fresh pot of coffee, all things that made us that think life just couldn’t get any better. Back then, things began to get a bit rank after a couple of days using communal toilets and not having a shower, and then there was the sleeping bag or that stiff cot that made for a restless night. But still waking up to the sun as it created streaks of light through the trees, the sounds of the people in the next campsite cracking wood for a fire along with the stillness of the forest made all the negatives go away. When we were blessed with two boys, that never stopped us from going camping, we all loved the woods and they still carry on that love of nature with their own families.

One of our favorite spots to go was Oak Creek Canyon, just outside Sedona. The drive up there was worth every effort it took. The unsurpassed beauty of the red rocks, Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock, how could anyone not be awestruck? As we got to downtown Sedona, we’d turn north up highway 89A towards Flagstaff. There were tall pines on both sides of the highway that paralleled the creek. We’d drive past Slide Rock where the creek created a slick surface on a large rock. Kids and adults alike ride the water down the rock, more fun than an amusement park. About three miles up the highway was our favorite of all campgrounds, Cave Springs. There might have been some caves nearby, and possibly a spring or two, but we never saw them. The campgrounds were all we needed, nestled besides Oak Creek, they’d stock the creek a couple of times a week and it was great for just relaxing or fishing, your choice. There was one campsite we liked best, it was maybe eight feet higher than the other sites and has a separate road going to it, our own private world it seemed; if we got there early enough it was ours for the weekend. Sometimes we’d have to set up our camp elsewhere. One time we did and a few hours later a contingent of screaming, giggling Girl Scouts set up camp next to ours. Hard to believe, but we broke down our site and set up again as far away as we could in half the time it took to set up in the first place. We envisioned endless hours of Kum-by-ya.

Time has changed things for us. Our bodies don’t respond well to the rugged ways of camping anymore, but we still love that area and we visit there often. To be sure, it was our anniversary a few weeks ago and we spent the night at a Sedona hotel. We drove through the canyon and took some time to go through Cave Springs. It’s changed since we stayed there last, about double in size; they’ve added showers and most sites require advanced reservations. Our favorite campsite was not to be found, a victim of progress. It has been a dry year so far and fire restrictions were in place for the entire forest, campfires only in developed campsites. Well, a week after we were there, a couple of transients didn’t think that restriction applied to them. These self-centered individuals had a campfire in a “no burn” area and either it got away from them or they left it. Thanks to them, it will take years for the forest to return to what it looked like when we were there. Close to 5000 acres have burned so far, and it’s still not fully contained. Firefighters gave campers 30 minutes to evacuate; many had left everything behind. For several days highway 89A was being used as a firebreak meaning just about all the campgrounds, including Cave Springs, were on the burn side of the break. Somehow the fire skipped the Slide Rock area, but that’s a small consolation for the damage that’s been done. Close to 400 homes and cabins were also evacuated, but the 1000 or so firefighters saved them all.

This is Arizona’s fire season where there are still maybe five major fires still burning, but this one has made national news because of where it is. The carelessness, or the selfish attitude of a few people has left a scar on an area of unequaled beauty. If they catch these individuals, what could they possibly do to them that would correct this horrible deed? We are sick over this loss, but that’s not going to stop us from going there and it’s certainly not going to erase the memories of all those years of camping.
Now you know why I picked the project I did for my scratchbuilt challenge.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I used to play in the creek and slide down slide rock when I was a kid way back before there was any parking except up and down the road on either side wherever there was room (and for some, where there wasn't quite enough room). Then they built that big parking lot just south of Slide Rock and started charging "admission". I have not been back since - through many times but not back to play. I now have a travel trailer and a family of my own and our newest favorite spot is Kaibab Lake up by Williams. While not nearly as beautiful as Sedona used to be, it still shares a lot of the same characteristics. All the same, I fear the day when a wildfire may ravage this area as well.

FallBuck&Scaler

Jul 2, 2006
Wildfire is a fact of nature, in most of the Western USA... having said that, human caused wildfires are heinous, particularly when injuries or damage to property occurs.

I used to fight forest fires, as part of my job with the USFS... the worst was arson fires, set by 'firefighters' who wanted to get hired on, so they could make money. Ask any wildland firefighter.. they'll all tell you that such arson should be punished by the same prison terms as arson on a structure.. up to 20 years.

Yellowstone National Park looked pretty ugly for a couple years, after the huge fires of 1988. But, almost 20 years later, the growth that is replacing those stands of trees lost back then, are nearly 25 foot tall, and even taller, in places. Those forests evolved to live with, and take advantage of, natural forest fires.... which usually only occur in a devastating manner about every 100-500 years, depending on the location. Most natural fires were historically very small, and very close to the ground, burning off evergreen needles, brush and fallen trees.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah Tom, I remember that too. You could park anywhere along the highway and maybe walk a half-mile or so, but it was free. You could also see the rock from the bridge. Now there's a new bridge and a parking lot and you can't even see the creek unless you pay the parking fee. They just reopened Slide Rock, and they were complaining because it cost them some $4000 a day while they were closed. No, "gee, we're glad to reopen because everyone can come back now and have fun", but, "gee, look at all the money we lost while we were closed because of the fire." wall1 wall1

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
We took a drive up to Sedona today, mostly to see what damage the fires have done and as a side trip, get more proto pictures for my scratchbuild challenge. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've got to say, I'm feeling a lot better now that I've seen the work that these firefighters have done. As I mention in my article, they used highway 89A as a fire break along Oak Creek Canyon. I expected everything on the west side of the highway to be completely burned. In the town itself, it's hard to see specifically what burned, most of the fire hit canyons and hills facing away from town. Along 89A you could see burned trees and brush along the highway but most of the fire was contained at the canyon wall. We saw a little damage across the highway, but not much. The good news is that they stopped the fire at slide rock meaning that all the campgrounds and homes in the canyon were saved.

All over town are banners and signs thanking the firefighters. The first shot of of a hotel along the canyon that was right in the fire's path. The next few were taken at a Dairy Queen along the highway where you can see that they stopped the fire just feet from the structure. The last one is looking south towards Sedona where you can see some fire damage on the right and none on the left.

I would have gotten better shots, but they have barriers blocking all pull-outs to keep people from pulling off the highway. I wonder why???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All-in-all, we are pleased that the fire isn't more evident and we also want to thank the firefighters for that.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• P7140010R.jpg
    P7140010R.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 73
  • P7140011R.jpg
    P7140011R.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 69
  • P7140014R.jpg
    P7140014R.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 72
  • P7140015R.jpg
    P7140015R.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 71

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
FallBuck&Scaler said:
Did they catch the arsonists? Hope they do, and throw the book at them!
Sorry to say that they did not. Like I said, if they do catch them, what could they possibly do that would make this right? If they throw them in jail, they'd probably improve their status in life. Right now they're scum, living in ditches and dumpster-diving for food. In jail they'd be well fed, have their health needs taken care of, get free clothes and laundry and even get job training with pay. :curse: :curse: