a thought me and the wife had

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
hi guys i was wondering if any of you would like to embark on a trip . me and the wife are going to do ?

we where sitting here thinking on how we could give back to make a wish for sending my son to see bear in the big blue house at disney world. back in sept
well i had a thought i could make a 4x 8 layout and raffle it off and next years train show here in holland michigan. all money going to make a wish was thinking on about 5.00 per ticket. as for the layout it wont be something big it will be done in ho scale and maybe something simple as 1 main line a couple of siding and a small yard.

this is where you all come in i am looking for unused things to build this with track.buildings,rolling stock,old locos, landscaping, power packs,ect
it's all going to be used on this layout so if you ever wanted to help a child have a wish here you can " like i said all money form the raffle will go to make a wish'
i am going to take many photos as it built and also photos of the winner with the layout with a wish child from make a wish. as for a name for the layout it's going to be wish's do come true i am going to air brush all the rolling stock with the make a wish logo. so if any of you are willing to help here is my email address doty-js@sbcglobal.net

i will also keep you all posted on things that are sent in for this layout and thing still needed.
so even if it is somthing small like people or somthing big like a loco it all going to a good cause. we have done so much for make a wish like walks, news interviews. and other things i think this is a good idea and somthing i could do before the next show here in holland

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
thoughts

I think it is quite an idea, but I would have a suggestion. If, and when, this idea progresses into fruition, anyone willing to donate tell you in advance. Then you could sort things out before accepting. For example, if a bunch send buildings, and a bunch send track, you could end up with an overabundance of a lot of things and a severe shortage of others. That could end up with considerable wasted money in postage.

I don't express myself too well, but I think you get the idea.

Lynn

wortchillergoal

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
I would check with Make A wish before you paint anything with their logo. I don't see them having a problem with it, but in these lawsuit happy times you never know.

By the way, i think it is a grand idea.

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
wortchillergoal

i have been talking with the lady who did my son's wish today about this idea and she thinks it is a good idea. i have a 40' box shell i am going to do a moc up on and take it to show her next week. if i look at it this way it could go into their catalog for the train fan . i know they have golf balls and other stuff with the logo on it and even some match box cars.

yellowlynn

i am going to see what every one has before i start i don't want to get a lot of buildings. and i am going to work up a track plan this weekend so then i will know just what i need and how much. i'll have to brush the brain off to do the math on rolling stock and buliding.

? what would some of you like to see in this layout. remember it is a 4x8 in ho with loop and 1-4 sidings and a small 2- 4 track yard . my brother is getting me the lumber and base foam tomarrow from his job

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Sounds like a good idea :thumb: . Why don't you consider one of the small project railroads found in MR magazine. Then you'd have a checklist of materials that you could have potential donors sign-off on. That or come up with a checklist of your own.

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
How about a Carneval themed layout, use a Loco painted with the "Make a Wish" colors and logo on it, passenger cars with Children in them, a caboose heralding the "make a Wish" Logo. Sratch build (or buy) Rides and Booths. make it feel like the kids are going there as part of the Program.

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
thank you all for getting in on this i have picked a track plan it is out of the book 101 track plans it is going to be plan 41 it is 6x 9 in ho but i am going to cut it down to 6x8 that it 24 inches wider than planed but i am going to build it in 2 pices at 3 x 8 this plan will have a couple of sidings added into it but most of it will stay as in the book now just have to figer on what the total of track needed will be was thinking on going from 18 to 22 radis . i'll do the math this weekend on it but if one of you gets it done before me please post it as for switches it would need 11 #4 . 3L and 6R .

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
masonjar their is a club that dose go to this train show but i will have to see if they are going to be their this year if they are i am going to talk with them but i do know they do n scale . last i rember a couple of the used to post on here. but any way i put my home layout with my son on hold it is happy i am going to start this to help other childern like his little brother he cant wait to dig in on this with me he will be 11 in dec

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
here is the track list

30 22 inch radis
10 r switches
4 l swtiches
85 9 inch straight
6 flex
2 truss bridge
2 grider bridge
as for buildings need a small town? and thing for siding.
power would be dc control.
their is a small train station.
if you want to add somthing to the layout or make changes fell free. i am going to start the brnch work next weekend. so for the ones how get in on it if their is somthing you want to see. add it just rember that this is 6x8 i could go as big as 6x10 the space in the middle in unclamed?

C

Catt

Scooby,the Holland show is done by the Riverbend Model Railroad club in Jenison. You could also broach your idea to the Holland HO modular group.They will be in front of the stage this year I'm told.

As for that N scale group (IronRailZ) we are not going to be there this year.Basically we are just tired of spending a whole day (Sunday) at a show then having to drive home.Some of us live better than 70 miles from Holland.

You can contact Riverbend through Jerry Frye at Hobby Recycling in Wyoming.He is open Tuesday through Saturday.

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
well guys i got the lumber all cut today and ready to start this as most of you know i was going to start this awhile back and my son got very sick. i am still in need of things here is a list of what i have so far

15 22 inch radis
8 r switches
4 l swtiches
45 9 inch straight
6 flex
1 truss bridge
1 grider bridge
1 loco
acouple of rolling stock
and here is the list that is still needed

15 22 inch radis
4 r switches
4 l swtiches
40 9 inch straight or 10 flex
1 truss bridge
1 grider bridge
plus rolling stock locos
building
ground cover
power pack
i am hoping to get started on laying track at the new year
as days are spent in the hospital with son.
i have been talking with make a wish and we are either going to auction this or do a raffle when it is done.