A Question For Shamus...

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
I was going through previous posts and saw a thread that showed a picture of your Badger Creek with brown parcel tape as a scenery base.

Could you please explain this a bit? Do you use a cardboard-lattice type support, covered in...PACKING TAPE?:eek: If so, please tell (me) all about how this is done, as this seems to me to be brilliant!! How does the plaster actually stick to the tape?? I've tried wire mesh, styrofoam, and others, and was never really happy for one reason or another.

Please tell!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Lighthorseman

Could you please explain this a bit? Do you use a cardboard-lattice type support, covered in...PACKING TAPE?:eek: If so, please tell (me) all about how this is done, as this seems to me to be brilliant!! How does the plaster actually stick to the tape?? I've tried wire mesh, styrofoam, and others, and was never really happy for one reason or another.

Please tell!
Yes, I use interlaced card first and staple the odd ends together then put parcel tape (Brown) all over it. Undercoat Plaster (Bluehawk) is all I use to cover the tape afterwards and it sticks to it like "glue" to a blanket. Here's another photo showing some plaster also.
Shamus

Attachments

• parcel.jpg
    parcel.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 103

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
please, give us the link fopr the thread... I'll start my scenery in a month or two, but I have to study the best way... Last layout, I've done with chicken wire and plaster.. but I didn't like the result...

Give the link, PPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEASEEEEEEEEE

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Here's The Thread!

As requested, here is a link to the thread. The main topic had nothing to do with the use of the tape as a scenery base, but I was FASCINATED with the idea of using packing (parcel) tape over a cardboard lattice, as this looks to be quick and NEAT!!

Here is the thread.

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1443

I hope that Shamus can find more photos, as this is a method I must try. :D

Thanks, Shamus!:)

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
i used the same thing that shamus did but i also used that dry wall mesh tape it looked good and held up good till my borther in law had it in for my layout when i moved it i had 95% of my layout done in both box tape and the drywall tape it went up with no time and had the base coat of plaster on the same night it was like making a mud pie just put the gloves on and dig in with in 2 days i was ready to put on my gound cover..