A question about Conrail's SD80MAC's

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Maybe some here can help me out? I was just reading up on Conrail's SD80MAC's on a website and it had that Conrail had 28 of the locomotives and had ordered an additional 30 but when the merger went through NS and CSX forced Conrail management to change the order to SD70MAC's and SD70's ranther than keeping the Sd80MAC's. But why would they do this. The SD80MAC's have more horsepower the the SD70MAC which has 4000 horsepower. Can someone please fill me in about this? Thank you in advance.

jdscales040

Sep 6, 2004
Wind Gap, PA
www.angelfire.com
The SD80MAC has a 20 cylinder powerplant that neither CSX or NS wanted. That and the fact that NS didn't want AC's at all might have had something to do with the move. NS got SD70's and CSX went with the 70MAC.
John D.

jdscales040

Sep 6, 2004
Wind Gap, PA
www.angelfire.com
We all thought CSX & NS would make some kind of deal to keep the 80mac's together on CSX, but it didn't work out that way. The two roads HAD to split everything 58%-NS 42%-CSX.

When I say everything, it was everything right down to the employees. In my dept...Scales we had 8 inspectors... NS-5 CSX-3. I worked on the Albany Div. The Albany went CSX. I went to NS!:confused: :curse:

jdscales040

Sep 6, 2004
Wind Gap, PA
www.angelfire.com
Hee Hee!
Well it wasn't so bad. I managed to get a raise, a new company vehicle and a great boss.
CSX decided to contract out all except company owned scales to Rail Scale Inc. a wholely owned CSX sub. None of the CR scale inspectors that went to CSX kept their scale jobs. One is a B&B foreman out of Elkart with NS and the other is a hostler at CSX Elsmere yard in Delaware. The third managed to wangle is way into NS's scale dept.
I stayed with NS thru the first NS mid-management buyout and when the second came up in Dec 2000, I took it. I retired early (57) in Feb. 2001 and went on railroad retirement this past April. Best thing I've ever done!
John :cool:

LiveSteamer said:
wow, that sucks. when you said they split everything they really did. :eek:
I just can't believe that happened to you. Do you know why they did that?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
The SD80MACs are a strange breed indeed. Conrail was definately impressed with their operation and was signed up for more before its eventual demise. Once the initial glitches were worked out of the new model Conrail neverhad problems with its units. Norfolk Southern and CSX, on the other hand, don't seem to know how to operate them. CSX has completely blown up at least two prime movers and I know Norfolk southern has had some major problems as well. CSX 812 was one of the units they blew up and it sat in storage in Huntington, West Virginia for almost a year awaiting a new prime mover. Since these were the only units made the power plants for them were rare. I believe they ended up using an EMD marine power supply to repower the unit. The unit was one of the first to be repainted into CSX's new image paint scheme but it sat in Huntington unable to be put on the road. CSX Quality? Yeah, right!

firefighter1811

Oct 1, 2004
there is 2 SD80MAC conrail that I know of in altoona that still run every day that still has the conrail paint/logo on them

Mike

firefighter1811

Oct 1, 2004
:cry: ya darnit:cry: I know but my point is that conrail had SD80MAC's at some point in time unless NS had this and painted it in conrail colors??? I dont think NS would do that but you never know

Mike

Brian Schmidt said:
But they are lettered for and owned by Norfolk Southern.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
firefighter1811 said:
I know but my point is that conrail had SD80MAC's at some point in time

I don't follow. Conrail was the only railroad to ever purchase SD80MACs. Of course they had them...