A control stand for the layout

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Here's the project that has kept me fom getting anything done on the layout for a while. Its a facsimilie of an EMD "drum" style control stand. My MRC power pack is housed inside and is connected by simple mechanics to the throttle lever and the reverser on the control stand so I can run trains from my own train simulator. The instrument panel is nonfunctional but pulling the horn cord activates a continuous loop tape of diesel horn sound until it is released. I've alwyas liked these engineer's stands since the first time I saw one pictured. Thanks to BDC for pics he posted some time ago that were very helpful in the completion of this project.
Ralph
PS. 1st scanner post; hope it works!

Attachments

• controlstand.jpg
    controlstand.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 153

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
This is a photo of the interior of an FP7 that inspired my control stand and instrument panel. Its from the website for the North Carolina Transportation Museum. The folks there were nice enough to email this pic when it was temporarily unavailable during some site modifications. I'm giving some thought to adding the brakes as pictured here. They wouldn't actually affect train operation but rigging up some sort of air hiss sound effect would be cool! :)
Ralph

Attachments

• 6133_cab.jpg
    6133_cab.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 150

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
That looks fab, Ralph! I called me mate, George Lucas, and he'd just lurv to use it in the next Star Wars movie. Cousin of RU1-2!, the droid friend of the alcoholic Jedi, Open One Can Only.:D :eek: :D :eek:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Pretty cool! You did a real good job of it. Now get one of those tiny cameras, put in the nose of a loco and mount a monitor where the windshield would be. How cool would that be? Then next year you could add a couple hydraulic cylinders to your chair to bounce you around a little. Way cool!

Gary

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Those are great ideas Gary! Kind of goes along with a suggestion of a visiting friend of mine. He thought I should construct a side window that I could stick my head out of and set up a fan to simulate wind blowing in my face! Hmmmm, a few more additions and modifications like this and I really won't need the layout at all! :)
But then....would I be a REAL modeler? Jon, let it be! :D
Ralph

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The wind idea is a good one, particularly if the fans motor could be connected to the throttle somehow to regulate its speed to the trains. Now if all this still doesn't quite convince you that you are actually running a real train, try again after a six pack. Back in the 60's, I would've suggested dropping acid, but then you wouldn't need any of the above, you could just sit on the couch!

Gary

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by N Gauger
Ralph - Nice work!! -- Now you realize, of course, you gotta post the plans so we can all build one..
~ Mikey
Nice idea Ralph, and very well done indeed.

Mikey, No No No, I need a shay outfit making :D:rolleyes:

Shamus

Dang, that's purty! An excellent job with that one Ralph!

Now you need to place a small bowl with a mix of diesel fuel and oil under your seat and set it on fire. Maybe you can get a buddy to sit in a chair next to you while you hostle. Also, wire the throttle into the accelerator cable of a V-8 engine placed behind your chair. :p

Seriously, you could rig up a bell button too. It would play a continious ringing until you shut it off. Just a thought. Also, that control stand is WAY too clean. Get some of that flaming oil from under your seat and rub it all around the stand. :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
BDC,
The bell is a great idea! I forgot about that! It would be easy to do as I could record a continuous loop off of my copy of Microsoft Train Simulator. Just need to install another switch. Thanks!

As for the flaming oil mixture under the seat...gee, are you suggesting that an engineer's life isn't all pleasure and enjoyment while operating a locomotive? :) Perhaps too much reality is a bad thing? :D
Ralph

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Ralph, that really looks nice. :cool:

There is a town not far from me that has several older engines rusting away on a siding mostly swallowed up by weeds and abandoned. One of them was a F7. I climbed into the cab and slide into the seat. It was awsome. I looked at the horn pull and of coarse pulled on it. I wanted to cut the rope and take it but could'nt. Not that i was worried about the fact that it is cosidered theft. More like it just would'nt have been a nice thing to do to the ol' girl.

Things sure looked alot different through that slanted windshield.

t.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I like that story t. and I appreciate your wanting to leave the loco intact. That's cool. Wish there was an easily accessible abandoned unit like that around here!

Ralph