A bit of a rant....

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
posted here because more people need to see it.
There are 16 entries in the March photo contest, and when I last checked, 28 votes had been cast. While some of the entrants have opted to not vote, that still leaves over a thousand supposedly "active" members of the Gauge unaccounted for. While I certainly respect anyone's right to not vote, I am surprised that there is not more interest in encouraging the people who have taken the time and effort to enter photos in this contest. And while you may be correct in saying that I'm soliciting votes, (a strict no-no in these contests) I should make it very plain that you are free to vote for any entry and I will be just as pleased if you vote for someone else. The point is, if you, as a member, take the time to view the entries, then please also take the time to vote.

And just as a note to Don (EZ) Day: if you think that this post, in any way, is a personal solicitation for votes, then I would prefer that you remove my entry from the contest, rather than this little rant. My intention is to drum up some more responses for the entire contest.

Thanks to all for your patience and participation,
Wayne

N

nachoman

Well, I can say I am disappointed in myself for not entering, and for not voting yet. I've just been busy and havent had the time! i suspect others may be in the same boat this tax season...

kevin

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Hmmm... kind of sounds like United States voters during an election year except I think that is something more like 40%. I myself posted a rant very similar to yours on a different site. The site had over 9000 members and only 1000 votes on the poll - 11%. Still probably most of these people don't check this site nearly as often as you or I! It would be interesting to find out from an administrator (EZ days?) how many of our members have more than hmmmm... say 20 posts. I would be willing to guess, not very many. Still, I agree with you... we should be able to do way better than 2%. When I ran my poll on "How to become un popular real fast" errrrr I mean "Steam engine sound when opening the home page", I found it interesting that there was a small flurry of votes right off the bat and then for the next couple weeks or so, they just kind of trickled in. I now have a grand total of 97 votes on something I had no idea was a pretty controversial topic.
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
doctorwayne said:
posted here because more people need to see it.
There are 16 entries in the March photo contest, and when I last checked, 28 votes had been cast. While some of the entrants have opted to not vote, that still leaves over a thousand supposedly "active" members of the Gauge unaccounted for. While I certainly respect anyone's right to not vote, I am surprised that there is not more interest in encouraging the people who have taken the time and effort to enter photos in this contest. And while you may be correct in saying that I'm soliciting votes, (a strict no-no in these contests) I should make it very plain that you are free to vote for any entry and I will be just as pleased if you vote for someone else. The point is, if you, as a member, take the time to view the entries, then please also take the time to vote.

And just as a note to Don (EZ) Day: if you think that this post, in any way, is a personal solicitation for votes, then I would prefer that you remove my entry from the contest, rather than this little rant. My intention is to drum up some more responses for the entire contest.

Thanks to all for your patience and participation,
Wayne

I'm ok with that :) except you should have posted the link too :D :D :D

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=19281

:) Thanks :)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hey Wayne, you're doing just fine. :D :D I think the troops are tired of hearing it from me and Mikey every month, :rolleyes::rolleyes: so we are greatfull for all the help we can get.:wave:

Just to support you're position, we have well over 1000 "active" members, this means members that have posted within the last 60 days. A normal photo contest has been drawing between 15 and 30 entries every month, I think once we had close to 40, we actually had to expand the poll limit because of that.:thumb: :thumb: You're right, it is disappointing sometimes, but some people here don't have cameras, some don't have layouts or have layouts that are just being started, and others somehow don't feel they're up to the de facto standards set by some here. This is of course, not true, we are looking for anyone that can hold a camera steady and shoot. We love pictures here, always have, always will. But, in order to attract the greatest number of entries, I've tried to make the contests less restrictive, open to just about anyone. There will be months that it will be restrictive, but I might open two different contests that month so as not to leave anyone out.announce1

As for those not voting, I can't answer that. I explained in the photo thread that everyone that entered should vote and make a choice, even if it's your own. As you are asking, I also urge all the rest to just stop by and vote for someone, and the next time, try to make an entry as well. It's fun and no one is critical of any entry, honest...:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Thanks Wayne, it's good to know there are others around that want to see this work. :thumb: :thumb:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm glad to see that everyone is taking this the right way. Sorry about not posting a link: an oversight, although posting links taxes my meagre computer skills.:D :D
TrainNut: I was one of the "nay" voters on the whistle poll, but you should in no way interpret that as a vote against you personally, any more than I'd interpret a vote in the photo contest for someone else as a vote against me. A response means that you've brought up a subject that's interesting to others.

Wayne

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I try to vote most times I can. The only defense I have for not voting sometimes is when there are 2 or more that I absolutely cannot choose between. Sometimes one will stand out, or maybe even most times, but those ocassions when I can't choose, I must of necessity abstain.

Lynn

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
yellowlynn said:
I try to vote most times I can. The only defense I have for not voting sometimes is when there are 2 or more that I absolutely cannot choose between. Sometimes one will stand out, or maybe even most times, but those ocassions when I can't choose, I must of necessity abstain.

Lynn
My personal choice is to vote for as many as you like. We also seem to get a lot more people voting when we run them that way. I have been basing my decision on the poll we took asking everyone which way they wanted to see the voting done. Right now the poll is 50/50 so that's why I chose to run the "one only" vote this time. I really think you guys are right, it seems to be more fun the other way, voting for as many as you like. We still get a winner, just about every entry gets votes that way and everyone seems to be happier, well, I'm not sure about the other 50%, but they can still vote for only one if that's their preference.:D

This is a very interesting and enlightning thread. :) :)

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
As a former "dial-up" guy, Jim, I should have remembered the tedium of waiting to see a picture. You, and many others, I suspect, are hereby excused. If we hadn't gotten high speed here, I would've given up on computers and the internet long ago. Now, if I could only type "high speed".

Wayne

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
my problem is I can never find the pics.... find the voting place but not the pics....
I give up, too much time

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Ray Marinaccio said:
Could thumbnail photos of the entriies be put in the poll for us dialup guys?
It does take a while to review the entries before voting.

That's not a bad idea all around, even for those of us with a high-speed connection. It would help jar one's memory as to which one was which. I find myself popping in and out and only able to read a thread here and there or erratically at best and thumb would be a nice reminder.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The thumbnails in the gallery are good enough to do a quick comparison, and, when clicked on, load fast enough to be able to check out detail. Even with dial up it would be faster than scanning the whole contest thread.
Pete

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I gotta tell you all that I am totally blown away by the feedback I'm getting from this thread.:thumb: :thumb: I can promise you that it will result in some positive changes. I hope to the point that someone on dial-up can even participate. That is only speculation at this time, but we'll see what happens.

Sometime in the next few days I'm going to set up a "test" contest trying to use the Gallery and it's thumbnails. Keep an eye out, because I may need some people to post pics and to give me some responses. :wave: :wave:

BKlein

Mar 10, 2006
Sarasota, Fl
Being a new member and a lurker for a while I voted there were some good pics in there

The thumbnail seems like a great idea

Brad