5 year old son gives Mom tour

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
When I called home today to check in with my wife, she told me our five year old son (my model railroad partner) begged her to come down and "play trains" today. She was quite impressed that he knew how to operate the layout (22 x 12 around the outside, HO with DCC).

I'm concerned about her comment to me: "Wow, I didn't know it was that big, you really have a lot of stuff down there."

Is that the tip of the iceberg? Is divorce just arond the corner? I've only been in the hobby for a little more than a year and I've sunk more into it than my personal vehicle is worth (no complaints from me)!

Do I fess up if asked? Do I fake a seizure to avoid the 5th degree?

HELP?

;)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey there Rusted,

When I first started constructing bench work my wife rarely ventured down to the layout room and expressed similar surprise about the size of the railroad when she finally did take a look. She quickly got used to it though (especially after assurances that it wouldn't get bigger and spread into the nearby family room!) and now I make an effort to show her new projects as a way of sharing my interest and keeping her up to date. She's supportive of my hobby and likes seeing what I've added. By the way, we've been together for 22 years.
Regards,
Ralph

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I have to agree with Ralph. Try to get her involved with the hobby. Tell her"We can do it as a Family" I have one question though, if you have a lot of stuff, How did you sneak it past her without her knowing?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Always be honest with your spouse.
My wife keeps the family books so she knows what I spend. She says its good that I started so long ago because we couldn't afford it now. She also picks out buildings and scenery items for me.
I always show her the RR plans before I start; she still says she didn't expect it to be so big; she also says "It's all track! Where's the scenery going?"

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
I'm do the same as Ralph. My wife always knows what's going on.
She always comes to the layout room to see what's new or if she can help in anyway. She always wants to know why I "need" more loco's though.
Marty

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
That's good advice you are getting and I agree.Get your wife interested in the hobby...I got my late wife involve in the hobby by letting her build my buildings or help with the scenery...But,you may have to reap the wirlwind by doing so..

You see my wife spent more money in the hobby shops then I did.You see she became a female Art Curren...She loved to kit bash or scratch build buildings in N scale---of course none of her buildings was complete with out interior in stores and factories that had large windows or openings that would permit seeing the insides of a building.Then it was everything else ecept running the trains..

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Thanks for the great advice. I'm impressed with the high morale character displayed in the responses.

I plan to discuss with my wife and hope to agree upon a monthly budget for train expenses.

Perhaps I'll be on this board 22 years from now able to give such good advice - thanks a ton!

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
Originally posted by Ralph
Hey there Rusted,

When I first started constructing bench work my wife rarely ventured down to the layout room and expressed similar surprise about the size of the railroad when she finally did take a look. She quickly got used to it though (especially after assurances that it wouldn't get bigger and spread into the nearby family room!) and now I make an effort to show her new projects as a way of sharing my interest and keeping her up to date. She's supportive of my hobby and likes seeing what I've added. By the way, we've been together for 22 years.
Regards,
Ralph

Oh No mine spread into the family room!! Actually I also showed her my plans before I started building this one and besides she has seen me build 2 others and has seen 4 others I built before I knew her :eek:

Her only complaint is the mess when I am building benchwork.:D Of course if she ever figured out how much money was sitting in the basement:eek: :mad: :eek: I would be in very hot water!!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Phil,
I thought about arguing for "manifest destiny" over the family room but it would have led to a layout way to big for me to handle! As for costs, I tend to do things on the cheap but my wife is the one who has supplied the two higher quality locos I run while I buy the Athearns. Clever woman, she sometimes comes with me to the hobby store and apparently makes mental notes of the engines I linger over.
Ralph

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by Rusted

Is that the tip of the iceberg? Is divorce just arond the corner? I've only been in the hobby for a little more than a year and I've sunk more into it than my personal vehicle is worth (no complaints from me)!

Do I fess up if asked? Do I fake a seizure to avoid the 5th degree?

HELP?

;)

Rusted - That's been my problem :) for 14 Wonderful years!!! My wife (Who won't leave me - see sig) :) always hears something to the effect of:

Me: "Woo Hoooo!! Lookie what I just bought (Insert ANY item over $100.00 Here) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Me: "It's neat huh?????

Wife: Ok, what the heck is that???

Me (insert Decent description of $100.00 + Item)

Wife: "Thrills......"

Waits 3 seconds then:: Ooooooo Does that mean I CAN spend $100.00 + on something I WANT??????????

Me: "I guess so....."

And there ya have it - Almost Every time I buy something Neat!! I have to figure in the fact that it Might Just cost me double.... But guess what? I'd wouldn't trade the hobby Or The "Boss Lady" for Anything!!! Good Luck!!!!

~~ Mikey