40k Mini Diorama

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by ARMORMAN, Jan 17, 2009.

ARMORMAN Guest

Hey all,

My latest project was a dual contest entry (not quite finished). It is a small Warhammer 40k diorama containing a wrecked Warhound Titan Head on a shattered overgrown city street. Every thing you see in the pictures, with the exception of some small lichen is paper (well, the water is Aileen's Clear Glue).

The base, rubble and large tree is cardboard with a coating of gel medium mixed with texturing sand. The tree trunk was cut out of a toilet paper tube and the branches carefully peeled apart and bent at different angles.

The leaves and smaller plants were made out of a sheet of regular typing paper colored with Prismacolor markers.

The Titan head was taken from a paper pattern off the web and heavily modified (including an interior, which is not quite finished).

The base and head were primered black and dry brushed or stippled depending on the texture desired.

Hope this helps someone.

Attached Files:

2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

That's great, Bill! I'm sure the pictures and explanation will be helpful. Good luck in the contest!

ARMORMAN Guest

I tied for first in our local IPMS contest (the other first was a beautiful pl**tic Testarosa). Actually, I entered my space wreck as well and they couldn't decide between the two paper kits and so I also tied with myself.
  4. mauther

mauther Active Member

Cool, Armorman!!!
  5. cyclonus

cyclonus New Member

I like the idea.

Let me give you some better pics....

Attached Files:

7. can't_decide

can't_decide New Member

I like it. This would be a great objective in game.
  8. munnrah

munnrah New Member

nice rusty effect!

The rust effect was primarily achieved by pre coloring parts with a red and brown prismacolor marker.
  10. Technichen

Technichen New Member

Very Nice:thumb:
  11. jarell

jarell New Member

like the rust effects :)
  12. lalo

lalo Member

.... :thumb: I like it. Good complement to adventures in dioramas. A car history. ... Jorge :mrgreen:
  13. MIIK900

MIIK900 New Member

Very very nice. I bet it looks amazing as part of a 40k terrain.
  14. devox

devox New Member

very nice looking, I especially like your custom foilage there. I was thinking today of doing a diorama and a good way to make some trees.

Tree is a toilet paper tube cut and peeled apart and coated with gel medium (gesso will work as well) with some texturing sand added. Leaves are markered copy paper.
  16. Rashura

Rashura New Member

Maybe u couldve dented the tree leaves a bit more but still very nicely done.
  17. olberon

olberon New Member

i like it :D
  18. MAGI

MAGI Member

Nice work.

I can see my TAU recovery team working their way through dense jungle to recover the computer core for communication codes for their upcoming planetary assault on the owners of said Warhound head. It will be a messy assault if they do recover those codes......

And I am back.... Thanks for the mini holiday.

Dioramas are great to display your work.
    And in war gaming like others have said. Great objectives that really add to the over all game that is being played.

I just got back myself...
  20. Napoleon1

Napoleon1 New Member

that looks really good