#4 turnout vs Snap switches

ChadYelland

Jan 26, 2006
Tisdale Sk Canada
I'm building some yard/ladder track im short on room as it is so i have to use sharp turnouts, Question is do I have to power the frog of the #4? or any of the other coustom turnouts? most of my exsperiance is with SnapSwitches.
Sorry for the barrage of threads and questions, i'm starting to get really rolling on that track laying.

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Sounds like your using Atlas. No need to power the frog unless your locos only pick up power on one truck, like the ones that come with train sets.

Loren

N

nachoman

Agreed. I have used atlas custom line #4 frogs before without powering them, and have had no issues. If you do have problems, powering the frogs at a later date is not that difficult.

Kevin

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I believe from your other threads, you'll be running some small steamers. These can be very fuzzy about their power pick up. I ended up having to power the frog on a couple of the few Custom line turnouts I used on my last layout. New layout = all Peco electrofrogs..!!

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
If you're using small steamers, you may want to power the frog. Even the relatively short frog of the #4 can trip up a short-wheelbase x-6-x.

You could get all fancy and use an Atlas Snap Relay to direct power to the frog from the point rails.