4-4-2 Atlantic questions

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Who makes them in HO scale?

Can you find the mantua's anymore, and are they any good?

Are the MDC roundhouse kits worth the time and effort?

Are they DCC-able?

I really want an 4-4-2 Atlantic "Harriman style" (in Southern Pacific paint, or undec is ok too.)

Does anyone have one they'd be willing to sell?

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Value of a kit is very much in the eye of the builder - all 3 makes can be built into very nice locomotives, and were originally intended to be assembled by the average modeler.

The Bowser Atlantic is going to have a Belpaire firebox, as befitting a PRR prototype. The MDC/Roundhouse is most likely to be closest to a Harriman prototype - many of their locomotives are loosely based on SP prototypes. Mantua steam engines tend to be quite generic. Since Bowser bought out Penn Line (years ago), most of their line is PRR prototype, with the exceptions being the original Bowser or Varney locomotives.

yours in steam kits

L

lester perry

Mantuas are not the prettiest locos but they run good and can be dressed up. I just heard that someone bought them and they are going back into production. Also there are still some around at train shows etc. go looking. Also look closely at the locomotives in boxes from other manufacturers years ago Mantua made locos for other companies but they are still Mantuas. As far as DCC goes I don't know yet but will find out sooner or later as I am going DCC now. I have 8 out of about 50 running DCC now and have been at it for about 6 months. I love the sound.
Les.
102960174.jpg

This is a mantua Mikado that has been dress up.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Model Power bought Mantua a couple of years ago. They are reissuing at least some of the Mantua engines in their "Mantua Classic" line. Right now I think the 2-6-6-2 is the only one available, they are planning to do the 4-6-2 and I think 0-6-0. These are DCC ready. No word on whether they will do the 4-4-2 or not.

I still see the Mantua 4-4-2 occassionally at flea markets, I would save an ebay search on it and check once or twice a week. I'm sure one will turn up there eventually.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Horizon bought MDC and I think it is now a division of Athearn. You might shoot them an email asking about releasing the Atlantic. You might also try contacting some of the on line hooby dealers to see if anyone has any left over stock. I think the MDC will be as close to S.P. prototype as you will find unless you go with brass.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I had one of the MDC Harriman Atlantics quite a few years ago: alas, no photos. They build into a nice loco, smooth running if you take your time and follow the instructions. The Harriman version came with an outboard bearing trailing truck and a Vanderbilt-style tender. A decent puller because of the diecast boiler, but a bit slippery due to the high drivers. Any of their tenders were also available separately, if you wanted a different style, and although I'm not into DCC, it shouldn't be difficult to build one with the motor electrically isolated from the frame. I hope that Horizon eventually re-releases all of the MDC kits, as they were good modelling value for a modest price, and excellent for kitbashing.

Wayne

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Miles

Jay's Trains - http://www.jaystrains.com/ - often has discontinued items in stock. Another good source to try is Caboose Hobbies in Denver. And of course, try eBay - there are usually several Roundhouse locomotive kits at any given time.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I just checked your picture, Miles. I think the one in the link is the Santa Fe version of the Roundhouse Atlantic. I think they had two diferent styles available at least. One was of a Santa Fe prototype with the Santa Fe type oil tender. The other was a S.P. prototype with the Vandy tender. I think they also offered the Santa Fe model with a coal tender for use in the midwest where S.F. ran locomotives on coal.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
MilesWestern said:
OH! Cool, do you think you could help me dig up a pic of the SP style one, please? Thanks if you can!

I don't know where I would find a pic of one of the Roundhouse S.P. models. It seems that the retailers only post pics of currently available models. Here is a pic of the prototype S.P. Atlantic at Travel Town in Los Angeles. www.steamlocomotive.com/losangeles/sp3025.jpg