300 ton coal tower (winnipeg yard copy)

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by RonP, Jan 14, 2007.

1. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

So i finally bought a cable to add my pics to the gauge i thought i'd start here.

Model railroad craftsman is a jewel of a resource finding old and very usefull copies of these are fairly easy actually they are the musty mags at the local RR flea markets usually on sale for 25 to 50 cents, They are a very very good deal.

Attached Files:

2. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

Working on finishing the structure today. I am sure it will take a few weeks for me to track down good accesories for the coal shoots and counter balance weights and ropes.

Attached Files:

3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Great stuff:thumb: :thumb:
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Ron, Tichy makes a very nice metal (styrene) coal chute that's available separately. I'm not sure how many are in a package, and I don't know if the hardware (pulleys, counterweights, etc.) is included. I'm pretty sure that I've seen them at Niagara Central, in St. Catharines.
    That coaling tower that you're building looks like one by Jack Work that was featured in RMC many years ago.
    Keep us updated on your progress: it looks good so far. :thumb:

5. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

Thank you wayne, i greatly apreciate your comments.
    Today is an ice day off from work i think if the temp stays above zero today ill check NC out (i'll call first to see if they have it)... Also i have a question you said in another post about plastic supplier for 4X8 .060 styrene, where can i find this place ? is it p&a plastics downtown ?

And finally yes this is a model from my RMC bible collection, Original modeller Jock Oliphant. BTW wanna sell any old issues ?
  6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Geez, I had a vague feeling that Jack Work wasn't right: it was the name that popped into my head after Doug Lefler. I'd forgotten all about Jock.:rolleyes: All three of these guys produced some outstanding models of Canadian prototypes.
    The plastics supplier that I buy from (the name escapes me) is on Burlington St., in what used to be the International Harvester engineering offices. They're not listed in our local Yellow Pages, but they're right beside Two Cougars and a Cafe. North side of the street.
    As for the magazines, when I was still working, I would buy, at the train store, MR, RMC, Trains, and often Mainline Modeler too. I kept them all, but decided to cut down when I retired. I finally took out a subscription to RMC, as I felt it was closest to my interests. I gave away all of the Trains to a good friend, and plan on keeping the RMC and Mainline, but I have about 30-odd years worth of MR. If you're interested, send me a pm.

7. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

main structure complete now moving to plank walkway and windows.

Attached Files:

8. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

ok im looking for a good material to make HO scale rope for the coal shoots . any idea's ? i was thinking copper wire.
  9. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

I should update this once i have a camera i will. Lots to report

I started the paint and soon will start with spouts and rigging.
  10. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Ron,Tichy Likely has what you need, they make several Coaling tower parts in HO........
    COALING TOWER LIFT MECH.............20.00
    Manufacturer: Tichy Train Group

They also have 2 variety's of coal chutes for 3.00 pkg
    8003 [​IMG]

8059 (used mainly at retail coal sellers)

I'd start there......you may be able to do a 1 stop shop for several items
    (like 8006 water column for 4.95)

and save on multiple shipping charges from several sources.

Good Luck, your Towers looking great and I couldnt agree more on RMC.....Ive purchased Lots over the years & still subscribe.
    Ive broken all of my older ones down into articles and cut them out filing in File Boxes ( 8 of them so far) I generally keep the last 10 years of My magazines complete
    exception NG&SLG & Timber Times (they are treated like gold ;) )
  11. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

Wow thank you for the info i will definatly purchase what i need from this source thanks allot
  12. modelsof1900

modelsof1900 Member

very nice to see your coal tower project. I wish success and good time for progress.

Last days I have got a birthday gift from my women, a craftsman coal tower kit made by Sheepscot Scale Products, here a picture - a .pdf-file - sroll to page 4.

Because I'm now a helper for modeling an "US steam loco museum" on a friend's model railroad modules I must start with this coal tower project in next time. Let see your and my progress in building coal towers.
    And the hints for Tichy parts are also a good help for me.

13. 20trevor12

20trevor12 New Member

nice coal tower i'm impressed
  14. :thumb:Ron, I'm highly impressed, this is absolutely great work!! Keep it up, also, I noted in the first photo, there were a couple of extra cream sticks, wish you could E-Mail one of those to me.:mrgreen::mrgreen:
  15. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

Might as well show the update to this too...

Attached Files:

• R&R8.jpg
      File size:
      141.9 KB