300 ton coal tower (winnipeg yard copy)

RonP

Member of the WMRC
So i finally bought a cable to add my pics to the gauge i thought i'd start here.

Model railroad craftsman is a jewel of a resource finding old and very usefull copies of these are fairly easy actually they are the musty mags at the local RR flea markets usually on sale for 25 to 50 cents, They are a very very good deal.

Attachments

• coaltower_1.JPG
    coaltower_1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 250
  • coaltower_2.JPG
    coaltower_2.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 239
  • coaltower_3.JPG
    coaltower_3.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 238

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Ron, Tichy makes a very nice metal (styrene) coal chute that's available separately. I'm not sure how many are in a package, and I don't know if the hardware (pulleys, counterweights, etc.) is included. I'm pretty sure that I've seen them at Niagara Central, in St. Catharines.
That coaling tower that you're building looks like one by Jack Work that was featured in RMC many years ago.
Keep us updated on your progress: it looks good so far. :thumb:

Wayne

RonP

Member of the WMRC
doctorwayne said:
Ron, Tichy makes a very nice metal (styrene) coal chute that's available separately. I'm not sure how many are in a package, and I don't know if the hardware (pulleys, counterweights, etc.) is included. I'm pretty sure that I've seen them at Niagara Central, in St. Catharines.
That coaling tower that you're building looks like one by Jack Work that was featured in RMC many years ago.
Keep us updated on your progress: it looks good so far. :thumb:

Wayne

Thank you wayne, i greatly apreciate your comments.
Today is an ice day off from work i think if the temp stays above zero today ill check NC out (i'll call first to see if they have it)... Also i have a question you said in another post about plastic supplier for 4X8 .060 styrene, where can i find this place ? is it p&a plastics downtown ?

And finally yes this is a model from my RMC bible collection, Original modeller Jock Oliphant. BTW wanna sell any old issues ?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Geez, I had a vague feeling that Jack Work wasn't right: it was the name that popped into my head after Doug Lefler. I'd forgotten all about Jock.:rolleyes: All three of these guys produced some outstanding models of Canadian prototypes.
The plastics supplier that I buy from (the name escapes me) is on Burlington St., in what used to be the International Harvester engineering offices. They're not listed in our local Yellow Pages, but they're right beside Two Cougars and a Cafe. North side of the street.
As for the magazines, when I was still working, I would buy, at the train store, MR, RMC, Trains, and often Mainline Modeler too. I kept them all, but decided to cut down when I retired. I finally took out a subscription to RMC, as I felt it was closest to my interests. I gave away all of the Trains to a good friend, and plan on keeping the RMC and Mainline, but I have about 30-odd years worth of MR. If you're interested, send me a pm.

Wayne

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Ron,Tichy Likely has what you need, they make several Coaling tower parts in HO........
COALING TOWER LIFT MECH.............20.00
8008_1.gif

Manufacturer: Tichy Train Group

They also have 2 variety's of coal chutes for 3.00 pkg
8003_1.gif

and

8059 (used mainly at retail coal sellers)
8059_2.gif

I'd start there......you may be able to do a 1 stop shop for several items
(like 8006 water column for 4.95)
8006_1.gif

and save on multiple shipping charges from several sources.

Good Luck, your Towers looking great and I couldnt agree more on RMC.....Ive purchased Lots over the years & still subscribe.
Ive broken all of my older ones down into articles and cut them out filing in File Boxes ( 8 of them so far) I generally keep the last 10 years of My magazines complete
exception NG&SLG & Timber Times (they are treated like gold ;) )

Ron,

very nice to see your coal tower project. I wish success and good time for progress.

Last days I have got a birthday gift from my women, a craftsman coal tower kit made by Sheepscot Scale Products, here a picture - a .pdf-file - sroll to page 4.

Because I'm now a helper for modeling an "US steam loco museum" on a friend's model railroad modules I must start with this coal tower project in next time. Let see your and my progress in building coal towers.
And the hints for Tichy parts are also a good help for me.

Bernhard