1st steam engine

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Belg,
As far as I know, there were three main types of engines used for logging, the Shay, Climax, and Heisler locos. Bachmann makes a Shay in their Spectrum line, I've heard great things about it. MDC makes Shays too, as well as a Climax, and Rivarossi makes Heislers. I've heard that the MDC engines need a little tweaking to make them run really well, and I don't think I've heard anything either way about the Riv's.

Bear in mind that logging operations were often shoe-string outfits, they often cobbled together their own equipment and would run whatever they could get cheap and would do the job. That's why a lot of folks love those lines, they could do things they'd never be able to justify on a mainline railroad.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Gee, since you don't have the motive power yet, you could lay some N scale track and make your own HON30 Climax out of an N scale switcher for the first loco, then make a diesel critter out another to back up the climax :D :D :D You'll have saved so much money you could order an N scale 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 and make an HOn30 Porter to round out the lineup! :D :D :D

And it's Deja Vu all over again -- Yogi Berra

Hello Belg,

I am running 3 Rivarossi Heislers, a 3 truck and a pair of 2 truck. I also run a couple of Climax's and a couple of MDC Shays. The Heislers are terrific runners and very sure footed. The Shays have no equal for visual appeal with lots of side rod action, just plain fun to watch. The Climax's were so cheap on Ebay that they became guinea pigs for my first painting experiments. They are noisy, waddle like ducks and are incredibly slow, love 'em.