1st build 'EVER' ,SB Yamato ,EDF Airone

bigemugamer

Oct 9, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey everyone, so this will be my 1st paper craft attempt ever and im kinda excited about it :p

first off here's the stuff i bought from Staples which cam to just under $55, paper is 110lb stock standard letter size 8 1/2" x 11", wish the exacto came with a cap (the tinniest bit of the tip broke off and flew into my shirt halfway through cutting, hard enough for me to notice!!) i love the green mat i got, the metal rulers handy dandy, though i wish i had bought the clear glue instead of the white though, but i will probably pick that up tomorrow.

gedc0001j.jpg

the sheet i downloaded, there were 2 versions, a sheet with one design covering a third of the sheet, and the second had 3 designs covering the whole sheet (as you may be able to tell the copier cut portions of the printing off, i undersized the print but it did it again though not as bad)

gedc0003s.jpg

Here's the 33 pieces i cut out, if you look closely you may notice the anal tendencies and OBC which make each piece look like it was cut out by a computer controlled laser cutter, and by the time index of the 1st and 3rd pictures you know i made sure to do it as straight and clean as possible.

gedc0002k.jpg

I find the hobby scissors i bought nearly 2 years ago for an unrelated project are great for trimming hair thick paper strands off pieces that are rounded, happy i had them, more versatile than the exacto knife ;)

Its midnight and i haven't eaten yet so i wont do assembly till tomorrow, not entirely looking forward to bending the mini flaps on stiff 110lb card stock, any ideas?

And any incite, comments, questions or suggestion are always welcome.

Again, happy to be here at this community :mrgreen:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
It looks like you are off to a good start. Although You should have scored the fold lines first before cutting. That way folding would be very easy. You can still score your parts now, just be very carefull while doing it though.

For scoring, you can use a pen that has run out of ink, and old table knife, or even a knitting needle.

Good luck with it.

Z

Zathros

Looks like a paper model factory about to be commissioned!:thumb:

bigemugamer

Oct 9, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
good ideas Rhaven thx, and you know it zathros, 'Utopia Planitia Ship Yards'? maybe, i like the name, provided i don't infringe on any copyrights.

I should have started this thread off with a detail of the model so ill do it here:

model: Airone, Earth Defense Force frigate, from Space Battleship Yamoto (Starblazers)
sheets: 1
pieces: 33
overall size: L: 5" / W: 1" / H: 2"

frigateairone.jpg

unfortunately this the the only instructions that came with it so i gotta wing it, this is not gonna be easy, fortunately the white glue is very effective, didn't buy the clear glue.

setsumeigoei.png

hopefully ill finish it tonight.

bigemugamer

Oct 9, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
YAAAA me, done! my first build is completed! finished it at about midnight.
im happy with how my first build turned out.
:D

gedc007.jpg

gedc0016c.jpg

This build would have been easier to build if i have had proper instructions and the size did make the superstructure and guns difficult, the engines configuration with the fins were a bit confusing at first, though it wasn't really frustrating at all in fact it was a joy to build, though i did have to cut 3 pieces from one of the other 5 sets that i printed due to deformation of the pieces but it wasn't a problem, head on it does look a bit crocked if you look at it for more than 1.7 seconds but from the pics you can see that its a rather fine first build considering i only used everything you see in the top pictures, plus a pair of craft scissors and a pencil.

I have a few ideas as to what im gonna build next but haven't made final decision. but i will create at least 1 more build before the end of the week, thanks all.
:wave:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Congratulations on your first build. You did a GREAT job on it. A very clean build. It looks FANTASTIC!
I am looking forward to seeing what you do next.
Keep up that GREAT work.