12 volt motor recommendations

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Urloony, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Urloony

Urloony New Member

I have four older scratchbuilt locos that have open frame motors. I am thinking about upgrading them as I prepare the railroad to change to DCC. I model O scale two rail and would like to upgrade the motors to something more efficient. I'm planning to use can motors so if there is a particular brand or design you guys could recommend that would be great.
  2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Choosing a replacement motor will depend on how much space is available and how much current the decoder will handle.
    I have had great success with Mabuchi motors salvaged from VCRs, old tape decks.
    I recently scrapped an HP printer and salvaged a duel shaft motor that drove the print head carriage.
    I don't do DCC so I am not familiar with decoder outputs, but wonder if a voltage follower circuit controlled by a decoder could be built to handle the higher current of the open framed motors.
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If you are looking for commercially built stuff, NorthWest Short Line is the standard for replacement motors, gears, trucks, and so on.