0-8-8-0 camelback

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by jim currie, Jul 12, 2003.

1. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

is there anyone that has pix. of the 0-8-8-0 camelback that the erie rr had looking for pix that were from last years in service.
  2. Blake

Blake Member

I haven't seen too many photos of them after they were new. These were the L class locos and were rebuilt into the ugliest 2-8-8-2's you have ever seen. Here is a link to a page that has some photos. They are the top three on the page.

George Elwoods fallen flags railroad site
  3. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

thanks building a brass model (HO) of one ,couldn't be much ugler as a 2-8-8-2 but they had hefty look to them.
  4. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Building? in brass? you just gotta keep us up to date on this one!!
    Kinda like the D&H E class 2-8-0s, this thing is so ugly it's good lookin':D :D :D
  5. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

will post some pix along the way wont be much progress till fall my work shop is unairconditioned you know 109 to 120 days.
    :eek: like you say tis a ugly beast but a lot of personalty.
  6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I'm assuming you're referring to the temperature. I don't know, but I'm going to find out. I'll be in Chandler,Az. the weekend of 15-17 August. I'm helping my daughter move into ASU.
  7. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I am deeply offended...

...by the sentiment that these units are considered "ugly". The fact that I may not want to see one of these units shopping in my local grocery. What, with the large "firebox" sideswiping the Cheerios boxes off the shelf and those bumpers prodding me as I try to pass (and what the heck is that tangle of hoses, hoses!!!! all looped about).

Well, anyway- the point is, it may not be pretty but it is beautiful.

Let beauty remain in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you.

A message from ~ The Management

Attached Files:

8. Blake

Blake Member

Hey, this is no place to be posting your baby pictures!!!!!:D :D :D :D
  10. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Niced lookin' kid you got there, MCL, you could send her to blake for a little touchup paint!!
  11. The book,soft cover, Memories of O&W Power has a picture of one on page 14. The author of the book is Paul Carleton and was published by D< Carleton Railbooks. I love camelbacks. I grew up in O&W country, long after rail service. My next door neighbor"s father was an engineer on the line.
  12. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

thanks for info have found very little info on the brutes.father in law's uncle was a fireman on one seen old pohto on one and just had to build one.
  13. donr928

donr928 New Member

I went looking for the L-1 also and found this.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The three L-1 0-8-8-0 steam locomotives of the Erie Railroad, built in 1907 by ALCO, were unique in that they were the only articulated camelback locomotives ever built. They were, when built, the largest steam locomotives in existence. They were built for pushing service, especially on the heavy grades of the Delaware and Susquehanna Divisions over the Allegheny Mountains. In 1921 they were rebuilt as 2-8-8-2s with more conventionally located cabs. They were taken out of service in 1930 as larger locomotives replaced them.[/FONT]