Put Larger Drivers on the Bachmann On30 4-4-0

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I have a "what I did" on big drivers on the Bachmann On30 4-4-0 at:

Big Drivers for the Bachmann On30 4-4-0

15000_finished_low.jpg

Thank you if you visit
Harold

I always enjoy your work Harold...if only I could get you to realize the power of the dark side (On3 :mrgreen:...I understand that On30 is outstanding for what you like to do).

Any idea as to your next project? Do you have plans that involve a Forney?

I always enjoy your work Harold...if only I could get you to realize the power of the dark side (On3 :mrgreen:...I understand that On30 is outstanding for what you like to do).

Any idea as to your next project? Do you have plans that involve a Forney?

Actually On3 has no advantage unless you are modeling Colorado or have big bucks for an MMI 4-4-0. I think the idea of a K class engine in On30 is rather silly. On30 fits my need for out of Colorado narrow gauge and that is the niche it fills quite nicely. The MMI 4-4-0 will not look good in On30.

I am not a Forney person. I probably will make a larger 4-4-0 from the Bachmann On30 4-4-0 sometime next year. Building the layout will be the major concern in the near future.

Harold

Yeah, Harlod. It's about time you get scenery on the other half of your layout instead of foolin around with all those rolling stock projects!! :D:D I agree with you 100% on the use of On30 for Colorado narrow gauge - you can probably get the pre-1900 representation okay, but there are so many colorado narrow gague rivet counters out there, you would be constatly bombarded by nit-pickers. For a free-lance or a proto-lance On30 is a cheaper and excellent alternative. The 6" track gauge difference is difficult to notice with the smaller 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s - especially if one lays their own rail rather than uses standard ho track with ties that are too small and too close together. Are you still targeting the pre-1900 era?

Kevin

I am back to 1905, the time frame fits the Bachmann 2-8-0's, which I really like. When I got the 4-4-0 with those "hinky" drivers, I was thinking about selling it. It really doesn't look like a typical NG 4-4-0 and doesn't match the Bachmann rolling stock. I always felt the prototype was the worse looking 4-4-0 ever made. Fortunately it had axle slots that could be increased easily to 1/8" for larger drivers. I really like the 4-4-0 with larger drivers, it fits the 1905 era very well and looks great in front of the Bachmann passenger cars.

The Bachmann Mogul drivers will fit with only a gear change and grinding clearance on the motor mount and frame. I put a suggestion that Bachmann should build a large driver version with the mogul drivers on the Bachmann Forum, but that has been ignored.

Harold