Pepakura links

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
This is probably well known to some on the forum, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Here's a link for a BUNCH of models out there on the Pepkura site. Some actually quite good and well designed.

Here's the english version

Japanese version

However, the Japanese version while similar to the english on this has more models with distinct Japanese models that aren't on the other link for some reason.

Enjoy!

SkySeeker

Anytime. Some of the models are only accessible with the most recent version of Pepakura. About around the 1500+ number. Found one model that was the Andromeda from Space Battleship Yamato on that site after digging for a while. There's no way to search it. You just have to hit next and scroll up or down. FYI

Sorry haven't been in communication as of late. Been dealing with work and serving the community. Some conservation and some other stuff. Have finished some of Jan Rukr's models. Will post when I have some time.

Take care.

Sky Seeker
:Viper:

I'm not one of Pepakura great fans, except for figurine modeling. They are just awesome for that. They can be scaled to use in whatever diorama or model you wish to use them in, and I have seen no other program that makes doing figurines so easy. The single thing that really bothers me about Pepakura is that it cannot make a circle. No matter how you try, it has facets. Obviously you can make it a circle, if you cut it out as a circle, however that lack of ability to create smooth radii really affects the making of formers, even though the same technique of cutting them smooth can be applied.

It's a great program. If I were starting out making paper models, I would build some of Pepakura models, and I have. If I were going to start designing objects of any kind, I would recommend using a different type of program. It's nice to be able to make paper models, however you can spend the same amount of time learning how to use a proper CAD program, and the effort is about the same. You can make paper models, cars, airplanes, and boats also parts for real objects made of steel and aluminum, and of other materials with a true CAD program. That's something not possible in Pepakura. It's just really a question of how you wish to divvy up the number of days you may have left in your life. If you do the math of how many days you may have left, the results can be illuminating, and that's assuming you'll live as long as you hope you will. ;)

I'm not one of Pepakura great fans, except for figurine modeling. They are just awesome for that. They can be scaled to use in whatever diorama or model you wish to use them in, and I have seen no other program that makes doing figurines so easy. The single thing that really bothers me about Pepakura is that it cannot make a circle. No matter how you try, it has facets. Obviously you can make it a circle, if you cut it out as a circle, however that lack of ability to create smooth radii really affects the making of formers, even though the same technique of cutting them smooth can be applied.

It's a great program. If I were starting out making paper models, I would build some of Pepakura models, and I have. If I were going to start designing objects of any kind, I would recommend using a different type of program. It's nice to be able to make paper models, however you can spend the same amount of time learning how to use a proper CAD program, and the effort is about the same. You can make paper models, cars, airplanes, and boats also parts for real objects made of steel and aluminum, and of other materials with a true CAD program. That's something not possible in Pepakura. It's just really a question of how you wish to divvy up the number of days you may have left in your life. If you do the math of how many days you may have left, the results can be illuminating, and that's assuming you'll live as long as you hope you will. ;)
No kidding Z. Life is short and the warranty eventually runs out. Just have to enjoy the moments in between before the life review. I built and modified more than a fair share of pepakura models. It all depends on the model maker and the test build of their model. A lot of pepakura modelers never did a test build and it shows. However, some have and their models are supreme. My two cents.

Sky Seeker

That is true. A common disbelief is that you need a CG model, put it into Pep, click "unfold" and get a ready-to-build template. That's not how it works. There is a lot of preparation involved, like fixing texture and mesh issues. Too often I have seen great-looking models with super textures but which on closer inspection are a nightmare to build because of intersections. In addition I have seldomly seen a Pepakura model which came with a reinforcing structure. Solving this is up to the builder then. The bad thing is that the outcome heavily depends on the skills and time of the builder and the modifications have to be done each time the model is being built. Experienced builders may take the challenge but a beginner will sit in front of x printed pages full of parts which do not fit together, mostly without giving any real clue what the issue is and how to solve it. This might be a very frustrating experience and is not a good thing to win someone for the hobby. Even worse, it would have been a matter of hours for the creator to fix the issues beforehand and thus delivering a coherent template for all without all the hassle for the builder and make the experience much more satisfying. I don't say the template should be perfect but it should at least be buildable without "bumps in the road". The only reason I use Pepakura is that it unfolds a bitmap texture.

Please note that I am not saying that Pepakura is bad. It is a great program and it does what it is supposed to do, it has never failed me. The criticism is only about people who use it to unfold unfinished templates. ;)

Last edited:
That is true. A common disbelief is that you need a CG model, put it into Pep, click "unfold" and get a ready-to-build template. That's not how it works. There is a lot of preparation involved, like fixing texture and mesh issues. Too often I have seen great-looking models with super textures but which on closer inspection are a nightmare to build because of intersections. In addition I have seldomly seen a Pepakura model which came with a reinforcing structure. Solving this is up to the builder then. The bad thing is that the outcome heavily depends on the skills and time of the builder and the modifications have to be done each time the model is being built. Experienced builders may take the challenge but a beginner will sit in front of x printed pages full of parts which do not fit together, mostly without giving any real clue what the issue is and how to solve it. This might be a very frustrating experience and is not a good thing to win someone for the hobby. Even worse, it would have been a matter of hours for the creator to fix the issues beforehand and thus delivering a coherent template for all without all the hassle for the builder and make the experience much more satisfying. I don't say the template should be perfect but it should at least be buildable without "bumps in the road". The only reason I use Pepakura is that it unfolds a bitmap texture.

Please note that I am not saying that Pepakura is bad. It is a great program and it does what it is supposed to do, it has never failed me. The criticism is only about people who use it to unfold unfinished templates. ;)
Agree totally!:toast:

A good beginning set of models to start with are the models by Genet and Jan Rukr - Sky Racers / Wipeout series. Great simple builds that are a good introduction to the paper modeling art.:)

I have build the slave one this model was unfold in Pepakura and I had some small and big issues when building it. And it would be handy to have internal formers. When the model was finished it didn't look like the slave one and I was not happy with it. I think it will end up in the bin.

I have build the slave one this model was unfold in Pepakura and I had some small and big issues when building it. And it would be handy to have internal formers. When the model was finished it didn't look like the slave one and I was not happy with it. I think it will end up in the bin.
Before you dump -- see if you can open the model along the glued seams, measure the insides, and use some scrap paper to reinforce what you have. I've saved many a model that way from the dumpster and sometimes you get even better results... Just an idea.:)

Sky Seeker

Reactions: mijob
Imcold's PDO Tools program allows you to export the PDO as OBJ file. This could be edited further in a 3D program to create an internal skeleton, remove intersections and so on.

Last edited: