ZTC - Anyone else using it?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by oshta, Dec 26, 2003.

1. oshta

oshta New Member

OK i have a 8'*5' N-gauge layout and im running two Grayahm Farish Locos both fitted with ZTC 214 decoders

- is any else using the ZTC system??
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi oshta.
    I'll be interested in hearing about ZTC. I've read about it in the magazines, but I've never seen any. I haven't heard any mention that they make a version compatible with North American power (120V, 60 hz). The controllers look as if they'd be fun to operate.
  3. oshta

oshta New Member

yeah its great as for a version compatible with North American power - all the control units need is a 12-18v 5A AC supply (they can also run on DC between 12-25v - depending on what gauge your running)

so that shouldn't be an issue!!
  4. Sir_Tainly

Sir_Tainly Member

I thought about going for ZTC, but the fact that the computer interface doesn't actually work put me off. I know the port is there, but for a couple of years now ZTC has been promising it a future enhancement, but nothing yet. Think I may opt for a Digitrax system but with Lenz Decoders. The warranty on the Lenz decoders seems to be far more friendly to DCC newbies :)

5. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

In reading posts regarding Lenz vs digitrax decoders on many differant forums etc i agree the goof proof warranty given by Lenz is appealing.However,Most who have used many differant types of decoders seem to believe the Performance of your locomotives is better with a Digitrax decoder.
    Just food for thought based on much reading.If performance is critical,perhaps you may want to investigate this yourself.
  6. Sir_Tainly

Sir_Tainly Member

Thanks Tileguy, I'll look into the performance issue. I have to add though the Lenz deal is even better to us Europeans as sending decoders back is much cheaper. Shipping a decoder back to the States would make it very expensive, on top of the $17 you have to pay. I hear that fee is refunded but even so.

7. fifer

fifer Active Member

I have dropped DCC all together but have run DCC in three scales and used MRC , Digitrax , and Lenz . I owned 2 digitrax systems and still found the Lenz to be a better value and more user friendly. I also found the Lenz decoder performance more consistant than digitrax and usually easier to buy (not out of stock of manufacturer discontinued).
    I burned up 1 lenz decoder during installation and sent it back and had a new one in less than 7 days.
    Another thing to consider is the Lenz 10 year update , Digitrax changes the decoders and functions and versions like underwear and you can't keep up (i.e. transponding , bmf , and so on). Look how many throttle designs they have gone through!
    Anyway I'll get down from my soapbox and back to my DC operation.
    My $.02

:curse: :cry: :thumb: