ZIP file with spanish ads

In the spanish RR forum that I frequent more, we have compiled a lot of pictures of ads that could be seen in Spain in different ages (Firestone, Cola-Cao, Pamplona-San Fermín, and so).

They are in GIF and JPG formats, compressed into a ZIP file. The are in good size so you can print them to the desired scale.

I know that there aren't many spanish modelers here, but some of you can find them useful for model mexican RRs (the signs are in spanish).

The ZIP file can be downloaded here (just press the button labeled «DESCARGAR»). There are also some brief instructions (in spanish) about how to print the ads. The file is 7890KB, so it can take a while to download if you are in dial-up:

http://www.railwaymania.com/viewsftdoc.asp?docid=120

As sample, this are three ads -reduced in size- («Pamplona-San Fermín» 1952, «Estrella Dorada Beer» 1962, and «Cola-Cao» 1965):

Attachments

• 1952sanfermines.jpg
    1952sanfermines.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 1962estrelladorada.jpg
    1962estrelladorada.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 1965colacao4.jpg
    1965colacao4.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 158
Somehow, Javier, you made me think about my early years spending vacations in Andalucia... especially with the Cola-Cao ad....

Maybe I can have some use for them... Don't you have some of the ad's used usually at the border's with Portugal? And those with the Bull to be placed near the roads?

Ricardo Correia said:
Somehow, Javier, you made me think about my early years spending vacations in Andalucia... especially with the Cola-Cao ad....

Maybe I can have some use for them... Don't you have some of the ad's used usually at the border's with Portugal? And those with the Bull to be placed near the roads?

Hi, Ricardo.

What ads were used at the borders with Portugal? Let me know and maybe I can find some.

Here you can see some other ads for «Cola-Cao»:

http://www.teacuerdas.com/nostalgia-publi-colacao.htm

The «Osborne» Bull is a well know icon in Spain (it was also used in Mexico) but, if I'm not wrong, it always has been a +40-feet high billboard only, and I don't remember to have seen it in poster type.

Here is:

Attachments

• Toro1.jpg
    Toro1.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Toro2.jpg
    Toro2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 125
First, about the "Osborne" bull (thanks, I didn't remember the name) is exactly that... the silhouette of the bull that I was interested in...

About ads near the border I can remember some of them about the bullfights in Sevilha, the Cola-Cao ones nad many more... I'm going to try to find some more information in my old photos....

Thanks for the link!

jon-monon said:
Now, that's a lot of Bull! :D :D :D

Yes, Jon. I remember my childhood, when car-traveling with my parents and seing this enormous bulls standing in choosen points. :eek: They are pretty imposing landmarks, a powerful sight silhouetted against the landscape. :cool:

After the years, they have becomed a sort of symbol of Spain. This is a brief history of the «Osborne» Bull:

The Osborne Bull (by Gavan Goulder)

The Osborne Bull looms large above the Spanish landscape in strategic spots and is visible for miles around. Originally produced by the Osborne Company, it was designed to promote a particular brand of cognac.

The bulls began life in 1956, when Osborne commissioned its advertising agency to develop a symbol for Veterano brandy. The result was hundreds of bulls measuring up to 40 feet in height, scattered across the face of Spain and its islands. They are now protected from the billboard laws by a Supreme Court ruling in 1997, which declared the impact of the bulls, "enhances the view rather than encourages consumption."

This ruling recognised that the bulls are not simply advertisements. Indeed, for a decade they have not even appeared with text after laws were introduced in the early nineties banning all forms of roadside advertising. They now appear simply as silhouettes superimposed on the landscape. They have become symbols. As the Spanish novelist Julio Llamazares observed, "this was because, like mountains, castles, and villages, the bulls were landmarks. After seeing them for so many years beside our roads, after embracing them as part of our collective and individual iconography, it was hard to imagine life without them."

Here are two more vintage spanish ads with "drink & bullfight" theme:

Attachments

• Veterano.jpg
    Veterano.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Tio Pepe.jpg
    Tio Pepe.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 108

Woodie

If only I could get some like that of old Australian billboards. I'd let out a big girlie squeal "AAAAAAARRRRGHHHH" and run round in circles for joy. :):) :p :D

Woodie, you're right. I have done a quick search and there aren't many aussie vintage signs.

The only ones that I'm been found are these pair (tiny size) :(

Attachments

• 1921australiaposter.jpg
    1921australiaposter.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 1950_ANPA_Canberra.jpg
    1950_ANPA_Canberra.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 91