Zio's blue deuce

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by Darwin, Sep 3, 2006.

1. cbg

cbg Member

@Darwin & DeWayne,

I had no idea his cars were of this quality. . .You may wish to display your rod on a mirror to show off all your work. Don't mean to hijack your thread but I wondered if we as a group could persuade DeWayne to release some of Zio's other vehicles, namely this one:

No pressure, Dewayne, but I loves the Volkswagen.

2. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I want this one, NOW!!!!!:mad: come on Dewayne, no pressure, much anyway :twisted:
  3. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I have just had a good look through his site and I have decided that I want all his models and I will cry if they are never made available :( :( :( they're so beautiful!
  4. Yep...this is nothing short of magnificent. I believe, however, that DeWayne has already said that Zio has never made these available in any form :-(

Cheers --- Larry
  5. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Yeah but thats not to say the couldn't be made available, although I understand its unlikely, but I will wait patiently.
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Sidecar Swallow 100? Just breathtaking whatever it is, now that would definitely get the cries of "no way is that paper".
  7. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

I just posted the Yellow Rod to the site and will be ready for delivery in the AM. The Kubelwagons (I have two) will come up in rotation with the other vehicles I have of Zios. The super detailed Solara, desert and European K-W's and the other rods.

The other classic autos and all the newer works he has listed on his site as in the works or working on instructions will most likely never see the light of day. Sadly, these are lost to us.
  8. Darwin

Darwin Member

DeWayne, glad to see you feeling good enough to come out and play with us again. Looking forward to the kubelwagon....I don't think I got it the las time it was up.

Here are a few shots of the nearly completed model. I mentioned earlier in the string that I had a bit of difficulty forming the compound curves in the body tub. That little difficulty caused the body tub to be skewed in final assembly. It looks ok from quarter views, but head on is terrible. The body is just friction-fit at this time, for I intend trying a rebuild of the tub, this time cutting the relief slits in the big tabs, and see if that will let be get it built straight. I'm thinking of trying to hinge the body tub to the back of the frame, so I can display it with body tipped up to display the frame and drive train. That is prototypic....I remember several rods displayed in that attitude during car shows in Sacramento during the late 50's/early 60's.

View attachment 2748

View attachment 2749

Attached Files:

9. I really like your roadster, Darwin. Much inspiration for me to build the yellow one I have. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers --- Larry

11. Alcides

Alcides Member

What kind of paper do you used for the roadster?

I was looking the very nice yellow roadster. I've just bough it.

The model has a lot of small parts. So I was thinking I need an light paper not a 200/mg paper.

12. Darwin

Darwin Member

Alcides, I used 110 lb cardstock for the model, which I think is about equivalent to your 200 gram. I really wouldn't want to go much thinner for most of the parts. Even though small, they need the extra stiffness of the heavier paper. However, I would use a thinner paper for the cylindrical pieces, such as the headlamps, exhaust pipes, etc. I still recommend the heavier card stock for the rear axle, since it needs some structural strength. After building with the rear wheels just glued directly to the axles, I'm now watching the rear wheels developing a definite camber (bowing outward) as gravity does its inexorable thing. I recommend using about a 1/8-inch diameter dowel (about 4 mm?) as an axle for the rear drive assembly. I would make the dowel lon enough that the ends can be glued to the inner surface of the hubcaps to resist the bending moment on the assembly. This would have the added benefit of having the rear wheels turn (I've always liked "posable" models, virtual or otherwise).

One point regarding using heavy card on parts that need small-radius bends. The shear stress you put on the paper tends to make it delaminate (the inside surface of the cylinder tries to maintain the same circumference as the outside surface, which just doesn't work in a 3-dimensional world. To help compensate, when I cut the part edges that will be the join seam, I use an Xacto knife and hold it at about a 45 degree angle to the paper in order to bevel the edge of the cut. After forming the part, I occasionally still need to trim off excess paper from the inside of the seam edges in order to get a tight butt joint.
  13. Alcides

Alcides Member

Darwin thank you for your detailed answer.

I've taken notes for when I'll try to build the roadster.