Zephyr and number of trains

dturnerfish

Mar 29, 2005
Dallas, Texas
I just purchased a zephyr and have a few more question. Hope I am not bothering anyone with the newbie questions.

For a N-Scale Layout I am planning (eventualy)

3 Trains with decoders
1 Dummy Car with Soundtrax (sound only) decoder
12 turnouts controled by stationary decoders
65 Feet of total track

I would not think the stationary decoders or track length would make a major difference, but I would think the Soundtraxx would.....

Do you think I will need a power booster? If so what is a cost-wise option?

Anyone have a preference for stationary decoders that will w0rk with Atlas switches?

Thanks everyone for your help,

DT

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
DT: how many powered engines per train? I think you should allow 1/2 amp per engine and the same for the sound unit. Not sure about the turnouts. Only count the trains that are going to run at the same time.
Now, what is the amp rating of the Zephyr? If it's greater than the total above, you're probably OK.
A friend ran a sizable HO layout with one unit powered from a 3 amp power pack, and he had a couple of sound units. We found there were some problems that might have been due to not enough power.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I don't think so DT. I use the same ballpark figure of 1/2 amp David mentioned, but I bet it is less, particularly in N. You ought to be able to run 6 or 7 locos. At any rate you already have the Zephyr, so go ahead and run your trains, if you need to in the future you can add a booster easily.

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
I'll test tonight to see how many locos a Zephyr can actually run at one time, based on power consumption. I'm thinking its going to be between 7 and 10 modern efficient locos. I know that it can only address 10 individual addresses at one time, but that's a different limitation.

phoneguy

May 16, 2005
Grand Blanc,Mi
DT I'm using the Zepher for my HO layout. I've had 5 Athern engines running at the same time with no trouble. The engines I installed the decoders in are 1986 vintage Atherns, old motors and old drivetrain.

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
Okay, tested this evening. I was had 9 locos (6 Katos, 3 Atlas) running, without any power problems. The Zephyr will only address 10 locos, and, well, things were a bit confused. :eek:ops: I believe I could have added at least 3 more if I had a) more room, and b) better consisting.

dturnerfish

Mar 29, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Wow, and that is without a booster!! Just the 2.5 amps.

Not sure why I am concerned about this. I can barely run one train without forgetting to switch turnouts back. I have derailments often :eek: .

Need to come up with a way to automatically stop that from happening.

Thanks!!!

DT