Zedob's Layout Party

zedob

Well, it's been a few days. I've been busy moving into a new house and my internet connection was gone until I got to get my office back up and running. I was able to add more white water detail and am about as happy as I can be with the results. Well, ok, there are a few things I'd change the next time around, but I'm not complaining about it this time.

Attachments

• whitewaterweb.jpg
    whitewaterweb.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 138

rksstl

Zedob fantastic job, you make doing water look easy. I can almost here the current from here.:D :thumb: :thumb:

zedob

Hey thanks guys,
This is the first time that I have ever tried to model water and I'm rather pleased with the results.

In retrospection I find things I will do differently on my next water scene. I've been studying the flows of the water falling over the dam (that's about 300 ft from my new house:thumb: ) and have noticed quite a few more things about water movment and how to model it's various stages of flow. I tried a couple of materials (Enviro-Tex and gloss medium and some silicon sealant) for the different flows I was trying to achieve, but I had to "over do" the whitewater to cover up some other sub-surface mistakes.:eek:ops:

I plan on doing a more indepth review of the techniques I used because I have found some rather important features of each and where they should be, or should not be used. I haven't tried all of the water modeling products out there, so I can't make any real comparisons. What I can say is that the stuff I used worked quite well and would have looked even better if I had applied the right technique at the right time. :thumb:

Since this dio was built entirely on the workbench away from the ravages of the move and is still there waiting to have more done to it, my Layout Party will continue. Actually, since this IS my layout (all nine linear inches of it) I was thinking that I could stick it on a shelf in the middle of the wall and build out from both ends. Just let it grow on it's own, like a weed.:D

Art67

zedob...That is seriously some of the best water I have seen modeled, thanks for sharing the trials and tribulations of your progress on the forum. Great job. Stuart.

zedob

I finally got around to placing the bridge and the factory into the scene to get an idea of what the river will look like once the bridge is in place. I used a projector as a flood to give a nice crisp shadow of the bridge onto the river and enbankment below, but the scene will be under flourenscent light when installed in the layout...well, when the layout gets built around the diorama:rolleyes: .

I'm planning on putting a few kids playing hooky and fishing on the rock in the back. I noticed that there were large eyebolts sticking out of the stone work on the prototype that may have been used to anchor guy wires for a derrick during the construction of the factory and want to add some of those, too.

This has been a rather fun educational project and can't wait for the next party!:thumb:

Attachments

• closeup_millrun.jpg
    closeup_millrun.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 99
  • overall.jpg
    overall.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 95
  • waterunderbridge.jpg
    waterunderbridge.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 100

zedob

johnny b said:
How do you do the white water look ?

Sorry for the late reply. I used diluted reefer white, which looks good. I didn't pick it because I thought it would be the best looking, I picked it because it was the only thing closest to white that I had on hand. The water around here has a brownish tint to it , which seems to change the whiteness of the areated water and the reefer white worked nicely.

johnny b

zedob said:
Sorry for the late reply. I used diluted reefer white, which looks good. I didn't pick it because I thought it would be the best looking, I picked it because it was the only thing closest to white that I had on hand. The water around here has a brownish tint to it , which seems to change the whiteness of the areated water and the reefer white worked nicely.

Ihave never done water and I have a small creek goin thru the middle of my layout. So I have lots of questions and likely questions about the answers. Now is the enamle paint and how do you apply it in the water ?

zedob

johnny b said:
Ihave never done water and I have a small creek goin thru the middle of my layout. So I have lots of questions and likely questions about the answers. Now is the enamle paint and how do you apply it in the water ?

I'm not sure what fake water medium you are using, but if you are still at the planning stage I'd highly recommend the "paint the riverbed and gloss medium" technique. It's easy and cheap and the results are better than the two part epoxy method IMHO. It's a bit trickier to get logs and semi-submerged items to look like they are actually under the surface, but it can be done. I could have done everything I did on this dio without using the Enviro-Tex. I did, but it wasn't necessary. I don't like the way the ET climbed up the banks of the river and into the cracks of one of the boulders. I can fix it, but shouldn't have to.

Dave Frary or Bob Hayden had an article in one of Kalbach's scenery techniques books about how to use the gloss medium technique.

As for the white water, I just dry brushed Rwhite onto the rapids areas. Short, stiff and flat brushes work well.