Zarkov & Super Glue

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Wily, May 20, 2007.

1. Wily

Wily Member

I'm building a future release from Dr. Emil Zarkov - though I've had a bit of influence in the kit, I don't think its my place to announce it here (soon enough, though!).

Nevertheless, I wanted to share my experiences with super glue.

So far, I've built the airplane - a 1/32ish design - using Super Glue in approx. 90% of the construction.

Those unfamiliar with Dr. Zarkov's designs ( can know that Dr. Zarkov's designs are typically well engineered - an excellent compromise between the over-the-top detail of a Halinski kit and simplicity of later-generation Fiddlersgreen kits.

Anyway, I thought some of you might hear of my success in using superglue as a bonding agent between two pieces of paper to create excellent spars, formers and bulkheads.

Using a cheap, watery glue ("5-Star" brand purchased at Wal-greens) I was able to soak one sheet of paper, apply the other on top and let it dry, creating a laminate that is strong and easily cut.

The paper I'm using is 80# cover stock.
  2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I also use super glue in my projects, but in my case, I use them in every part of my builds...

And yes, super glue offers strength, precision and speed in building :-D
  3. sakrison

sakrison Member

Disadvantages of superglue

Superglue definitely comes in handy. I use both brush-on type and gap-filling type in my paper modeling. But I use it sparingly. There are at least two major disadvantages to consider if you're using superglue:

1. It's expensive, compared to glue sticks and Ailene's Tacky Glue--a favorite among US paper modeliers.

2. The fumes can be highly irritating to eyes, throat, and lungs. Longterm exposure to vapors might cause asthma. You want VERY GOOD ventilation if you're using superglue for any amount of time. Direct contact with skin should be avoided.

Removing superglue from your skin with nail polish remover is not recommended, since the latter contains acetone, which is also highly toxic.

NULLMOON Member

ive never used it it only seems to stick fingers:roll:
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Having worked with composites for a major Helicopter manufacturer I would recommend using Super Glue sparingly. Your free to do what you want of course but I did once suffer a severe reaction to it (Asthma) and I thought I had sufficient ventilation. I used it for building RC planes and used a catalyst to quicken and guarantee the bond. I fixed a generator pully on my MG that cracked and it has held for 10 years. It just is nasty stuff but I imagine if your really careful with it and exhaust to outside of your home it would be O.K. I also used it once to fix a slice in my finger and it bonded the skin so well I didn't need the five stitches the doctor said would have been needed. It burned like hell though.

NULLMOON Member

super glue was origonaly developed to stick flesh and it still does that best:grin:
  7. I need a Pin up girl. . .

For my 2 cents,
    I use CA- thin, reg and filler along with catalyst for tricky parts, or parts that need to hold fast such as a glued in diehidral. (sp?) I bond carbon fiber and balsa and plywood to paper with it for my R/C conversions etc. Rigging lines glue quick with it too. Good stuff. . .
  8. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Super glue (cyanoacrylate) polymerizes using water as a catalyst. That's why it sticks skin better than paper - more moisture.
    As far as health effects - it's the fumes that are the issue. My buddy the Dr. showed me a study in a medical journal comparing suturing with super glue versus standard stitching. Ultimately they compared comparably - but there was no driving factor (cost, etc) to switch - so it didn't make sense to change ;)
  9. sakrison

sakrison Member

I'd keep an eye on the bushes outside, just to be sure. It wouldn't surprise me if the stuff is a nasty defoliant.