Z-Scale

Tyson Rayles

Being this is a N\Z Scale forum I was wondering if we have any Z scalers among us. If so I sure would like to see some pictures of your work. I considered doing my layout in Z but the lack of variety in American style locos, rolling stock and stuctures stopped me (as well as price). Right now I'm waiting to see if Bill P. is going to add N narrow gauge to his logging layout using Z scale mech.'s and track.

justind

Ambitious

Z-Scale...that's pretty ambitious. I made the mistake once of remarking on how hard N-Scale would be to super detail, and was countered with a host of amazing N-scale works. I wonder what I would see in Z-scale super detailing.:)

WM-N-fan

Actually, I think a small tabletop 2-2 layout would be a nice gift for someone. I'm considering making a few as Christmas or birthday Gifts. The only problem is that there are only a few North American Engines., if that many. I know there F7's, but that's about it.

billk

Just checked out the Walthers site for Z-scale engines. There's a lot of pretty funky-looking Euro engines (what's with the "Era" designation?) but the F7 was the only US diesel listed. There was a couple of American steamers too, a Mogul and something else. And Tyson's right about the $$$!

RI541

Isn't that Rock Island steamer beautiful? I almost got that until I saw the$$$,So i bought a Rock Island caboose instead,I model the RI in N-Scale and could not imagine detailing in Z-Scale.

Drew1125

As an N scaler, I've thought about using Z scale structures to get a "forced perpective" in some of my urbam scenery.

RI541

I was told that the Z-Scale couplers were more prototypical but I dont think my eyes would let put them together and never thought of looking for preassembled one,

Charlie,

I finaly got some pictures of some of my models posted in the HO section under picking on the little guys.

Shane

Drew1125

Shane,
I saw your pics...very nice work, my friend!:cool:
I guess I should've told you that in the other thread, but I didn't want to interupt that great sesion all you ROCK fans were having over there! :)

Aint this a great forum? :)

RI541

Charlie,
Thanks for the compliment,Every bodies welcome to chat.
I love this place,Wish more people were here.

Shane

Mike R

Check out the picture on pg.43 of the April 2002 MR...A 17" X 20" end table with a Z scale RR...gorgeous work, and the gentleman built it at 85 years of age !!!!Wish MR could get a few more detailed photos of it.

Tyson Rayles

Mike R if I ever get my April MR I will check it out(did get my 2002 MRP today). Charlie I also thought of Z for forced perspective but my layout isn't deep enough for it to work except in one place and I may do it there, however at the cost of most Z stuctures (and being it would just be a farm house or barn) I'll probably scratch built it.

Mike R

To Tyson:....Also in April 2002 MR is the staff's 'April Fool' spoof...on page 42, a write-up on "NOtrack"..modules of former rights -of-way that have been converted to bike trails. The 'VP of NOtrack' is a "Nomar Tyson-Rales"...guess you failed to copyright that pen name and it's spelling variables, right?

Tyson Rayles

That's alright I'm not the first one to use it. MR must be hard up for material, they had a article on the no-track a couple of years ago. :p

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Cool!! :cool: I thought you were looking for actual platforms, but I had to let you see it anyway. :) With my G scale taking up my time now, I don't have the time to work on the Z. :(

See Ya!!!

jcurts

I don't work with nor play with Z-scale trains. I can hardly see them! yeah, I know, it happens in the best of families.

About the neatest and most fool proof Z-scale layout I have seen was in a rather large coffe table under the glass. The train was propelled with an air pump and tiny holes between the ties. It seemed to be very consistant at all speeds due to the fact the builder had prepared the bottom of each car to respond to the air stream.

Switching was accomplished with toggles in an opening in side of table that ran tiny cables to switches.

This same fellow built another (they were all built for customers) layout in a coffee table which was also air driven but had the catinery (never did like that word) and all the works of an electric.

These trains would only travel frontwards of course but I was impressed by the simplicity of the whole scheme.

This person was quite a craftsman but non of this is outside the realm of most peoples abilities. And the price is right if you do it yourself.

I do not expect a royalty or gratuity for furnishing this idea but you know, times are tough.:confused:

Dominique

Hi all.

A late answer from a newbee on this group. Actually I'm in Z scale:
-a small diorama (in progress, size = 1,30 x 0,26 meter) that will show a grade crossing between BNSF and route 66, inspired by an actual location at Amboy (California)
-a main layout (first section in progress) that will fit in a 6,50 x 4-meter room, walkaround style, that will show chosen parts of the UP's (ex SP) Tehachapi Pass in California.
Cheers,
Dominique