yukikaze fleet.

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Shin_kazama, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

plastic models cost $90.

but they look awfully cool.

BTW if anyone made them, just link.
  2. Paladin

Paladin Member

3. Janx

Janx Member

Have done the FF 31R Supersylph its a bit in flux, though the pdo is done the model may be a bit too awkward to build, only got 80% the way through building it before getting swamped.

Bear with me as I try to do 6 things at once, will try to get others to test build it.

Attached Files:

4. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Janx! Once more you are my hero! :D
    From what you're showing here, this one will be worth it!

I look at the FRX-00 and since I have no idea what's being said on the page, the model baffles me. do we need to add those blue textures ourselves or what? Can someone shed some light on this please? :confused:
    Also, I thought the PDF links on that page would help but it keeps on trowing errors... Hope I'm not the only one experiencing these frustrations... :curse:
  5. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

just right-click on the image and "Save As...", or click on the filename "yukikaze.jpg" above the picture.

nice work on the plane Janx, but it could probably do with some more reduction of the number of faces.
  6. Paladin

Paladin Member

I've built the FRX-00, and it isn't easy, particularly because there are no instructions, or guidance on the location of the parts, but because of the pictures, (and because I found a site with a cool 3D image that you can rotate and enlarge), I was finally able to put it together.
    I can post a couple of pictures here, but they are pretty much the same as the ones on the site link above, except the color scheme is different.
  7. Janx

Janx Member

Your probably right Jay, I just cant resist putting too many polys in, I am a 3d modeller first a Card modeller second, old habits die hard.

Want me to put this version up for download or modify it?
  8. ThunderChild

Could this be a thing with Maya modellers? :mrgreen: sign1
    Cuz I have the same symptoms! :eek:
  9. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

no need for me, janx, i got my own in the works already. the others may want a crack at test-building that for you, though!

i think the large number of poly's are in the nature of the program; the more curved you want it, the more poly's are needed. i find this often 3DS and MAX models i've downloaded. this is also why i don't clean up and adjust the polys those types of models and instead build up my own Meta models from the ground up. it often takes less time to make your own totally new Meta model than to convert a high-poly model someone else made.
  10. Janx

Janx Member

heh I think your right Thunder, Got meta here but dont really use it, maybe I should.

Give me a few weeks and I'll sort this one out one way or another.
  11. ThunderChild

Cool Janx!

Jaybats, I agree with you concerning the downloaded models. Importing obj or 3ds files into maya usually makes the model unusable. I literally just use those models as a reference in building my own because it's faster than trying to change the other one.

Oh, BTW, regarding the FRX 00, I got the files from the page a couple of weeks ago, my query was regarding the model being white while the ref-pics showed the model in blue. My guess is colored card-stock?
  12. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

on the link Paladin supplied, there are 2 patterns there, the white uncolored one in the earlier post (some-long-number.jpg), and the yukikaze-colored one in the later post (yukikaze.jpg) after the ref-pics.

in the author's original site, which i came across long ago before i even saw the anime, it's just the white uncolored pattern (soyokaze). apparently for coloring in the different paint schemes in the anime (FRX-99, FRX-00, TS-X1, Flip-Knight 1-3)
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Janx, may I ask if you are going to release this model or not?~~

I can agree no more... Only that now I find it hard to put more poly in as I started as cardmodeler...
  14. ThunderChild

Thanx Jaybats. You really got me to thinking... :)
    I'll rather watch the original anime again, just to get my facts straight... If memory serves, Yukikaze went through a few shape changes during the show... (1 or 2 i think)I just cant remember the 2cnd color scheme as is on the site (The black model)... I'll also have to try and build these first before comment... haven't done so yet...

Lex, I think Janx may be wondering weather he should release the model now, as is, or change it to have less polys/parts first.

I for one won't mind the current model as it may be more... shall I say rounded off...?

A model with less polys, therefore less parts to develop, might build easier, but would it be as realistic? I'm sure every developer has asked this question! How do you weigh the amount of "shapes" in the model so as to reflect the likeness of the original?
  15. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Yes, Yukikaze went thru 4 changes:

1. the FFR-31MR/D Super Sylph
    2. FRX-99 Rafe (when it uploaded itself the first time)
    3. FRX-00 Mave (with 2-man cockpit installed)
    4. FRX-00 Mave in Ramjet mode (with wings reversed)

And then there are also the other FRX-99 models: the TS-X1 with which it conducted wargames, and the Flip Knights trio with laser(?) cannon and turbine generators.

And not to forget that Yukikaze also had missile clusters and jettisonable VTOL take-off engines installed at one point or another!

When you think about it, the author made a good decision in making an all-white pattern...

And of course there are all the other cool aircraft, too. I just love the designs, I've been planning an entire wave of just those aircraft. Check out the models on HLJ's site here:

Search Results
  16. Janx

Janx Member

Will release this one here, just reducing the mesh a bit as per jay's suggestion.

Wish I could split myself into 4...

Attached Files:

• V6.jpg
      File size:
      70.7 KB
  17. Janx

Janx Member

The higher poly version I am going to keep back so I can develop it with cockpits etc.

This progress so far, have reduced the poly count by about half. Not made the recon pod for the underside yet though.

I will need a few guys willing to make sense of my handiwork, once the development is done.

Attached Files:

18. Janx

Janx Member

Quick update.

Model finished, just sorting the textures and then will have the dreaded unwrap and numbering, If I am feeling masochistic instructions too!

Attached Files:

19. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

pretty nice janx... me, i am moving very slowly on my FFR-31 Sylpheed and Fand fighters...

Attached Files:

20. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

has anyone built this thing?(FRX-00 model)

if so, is there any instructions?

and BTW, is there a helmets section featuring all kinds of vehicle helmets?

it would be nice to have the helmets used in macross and yukikze...