Your opinion..

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
I still don't have a theme for my rr. It's a constant toss up between shortline appalacian coal railroad, or a single industry steel mill layout. Given the space ( 11'x10' around the walls), what are your thoughts? PROS & CONS.

Single industry steel mill layout
PROS-tons of operation, not commonly done in n scale, realistic in scale (can fit a lot into that space)
CONS-Blast furnace is 300 pieces!, may have to scratchbuild a lot to make it look realistic.

Shortline coal layout
PROS-coal trains are neat! I'm good at making mountain scenery, less expensive than all those walthers kits.
CONS-everyother model railroader has done it, only 2-3 scale miles, hard to compress realistic sidings and operation without looking like mines are 2 ft away.

what do you think?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
It's hard tosuggest to someone else what to do, especially since I have little experience with layouts. I'm still on my first one, and it has no theme, just a landscape in progress and structures that I like and feel right for that location.

PROS: I get to do what I like and think looks good.

CONS: Others may think I got a hodgepodge with no direction.

Pros win 100% to zip. Bottom line, go with what you like to do.

igoldberg

Nov 12, 2004
I have a walthers blast furnace and added only a half dozen pipes around the stoves. I really does not take a lot to make it look good. I have many good pics of blast furnaces. Email me offline if you want them. DO WHAT YOU FEEL COMFITABLE WITH. ITS YOUR RAILAROD!!!

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Tails...it's steel

After looking at the columbia river model railroad, I decided to attempt a slightly similar layout in N scale. after 24+ hours (not in a row), I'm about 85% done with the blast furnace. I'll upload progress pics real soon.