Your input please

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
When I post pictures, I like to make them as big as possible. I also hate it when other people post pictures that are too big for my screen because then, I end up having to scroll right to read each line of text and to see the whole picture. It just occured to me, (doy:p) that even though my pictures fit perfectly on my screen, do they fit on yours? Please use the picture below as an example. Thanks in advance for your comments.

test_picture_low_res.jpg

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
thats about the perfect size for me trainnut.i barely have to scroll right to See all of it.and my screen resolution is 1024 by 768 so it may be bigger than others.--josh

nolatron

No problem for me either. Though I'm using a 21" monitor at 1280x1024 connected to a laptop at 1400x1050 at work.

Should display fine on my Macbook at home too.

Nice pic too :)

Gary S.

So I changed my screen resolution just a little and now it fits but the text is a wee bit smaller. But I think I'll leave it like this.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
So I changed my screen resolution just a little and now it fits but the text is a wee bit smaller. But I think I'll leave it like this.
If you have a mouse with a roller wheel on the top, you can hold down the Ctrl key and roll the wheel up or down to make the text bigger or smaller in your internet window.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Cool. Well, 30 views so far on a slow Monday afternoon and 6 of you have given me positive feedback. I'll still keep an ear out for anybody else that would like to comment but it seems for now, I will go with this size as my standard.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I had to scroll a little to the right but have the entire photo on my screen. I lose your name and avatar though.
Ralph

steamhead

Hi. I have to scroll a good ways to the right to see the whole picture, and even then, it doesn't fit in my screen. But then, I have a "steam powered" computer....

Speaking of steam...That's a gorgeous engine...What is it..??

size

I had to scroll back and forth to read the script And to see all the picture on a 17" monitor. Holding the controll and scrolling with the wheel is a new one on me. I'll sure use that idea from now on.

Lynn

UKSteam

19" screen here at higher resolution, have to jink slightly to the right to see it all but I prefer the full picture to a thumbnail I can't see. Keep it the way you're doing it TrainNut, considerate of you to ask though :)

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Thank you all for your feedback. I too like bigger pictures, but as I mentioned, if the majority were having problems viewing them, it wasn't worth displaying them at that size. Just remember that I upload all my pictures to the gallery here and not some off site host. If it's too big for you and you really want to see the "whole" picture without scrolling around, follow the pathname to the gallery.

...Speaking of steam...That's a gorgeous engine...What is it..??
I can't quite see the wheel arrangment on this one but I think it's the 2-8-0 on the Grand Canyon line. She's a monster!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Tom,

I usually post my pics 640 x 480. That use to be our maximum size to upload. I wouldn't post anything higher than 800 x 600 because even with a higher resolution screen, it can become overpowering and annoying. I think my screen resolution is 1280 x 1024, but even then, someone will link to a picture that requires me to scroll and scrolling a picture isn't good for the viewer or the person that posted it because many people, myself included, will just pass on looking at it.

This is a happy medium for me, I can view most pictures and the text is still readable.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Well I tried to call you and ask you about this but you were off running around doing errands:mrgreen:. Imagine that!:p

ezdays

Out AZ way
Well I tried to call you and ask you about this but you were off running around doing errands:mrgreen:. Imagine that!:p
I'll call you in a few minutes seeing as how I know you're up and about. I've got stuff to do today and tomorrow as well.:twisted: :twisted:

doctorwayne

For me, your picture requires a very small amount of scrolling right, but nothing too annoying. ;) Nice photo, by the way. I'm mostly ignorant about why some pictures appear too big, and I prefer to remain that way. :-D I have a bunch of re-sized photos in photobucket for posting on the Model Railroader site, (where any photo seems to send a lot of the Members into a snit), but the smaller photos are a waste of time, in my opinion. Likewise here: I was originally attracted (thanks Andrew ;)) by the fact that pictures seemed to be much more welcome here than elsewhere. The Gallery seems to re-size them for use here, and those on dial-up can always check out the thumbnails there if they need to see a smaller format. I started here on dial-up myself, but to be quite honest, I don't think that I would've stuck with it this long if it hadn't been for a high-speed connection.

Wayne