Your First

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Everyone has a first. First car, first Love, first cigar etc. If you still have your first card model post em' here. It would be fun to see how we've progressed thru the years, a not too critical eye, sometimes a few laughs, and even a glimpse of some neat subjects that may not be available anymore.
My first (sappy music playing in the backround), was a few ships I designed back as a kid, they were the silouettes with some inked on details, with a base of sorts, that my cousin and I shot at with pea shooters. Alas, they are long gone, a product of fertile kid imaginings, but I thought it neat at the time. Then A 6th grade teacher, a nun, introduced us to 3d geometry, cones cubes cylinders, in an attemt to get us to learn something... Oh yeah, geometry! I took these cut out 3d shapes, stacked them and made a sorta spaceship. Later, growing up not poor but certainly on 50c allowance that came with a bunch of chores in the 60s you couldn't buy some primo ship models that were out by Revell. I turned back to sister Judith's 3d cutouts made chunk hulls but some fairly accurate superstructures of card ships and battled it out with the kids on the blocks fleets. Now fast fwd to current time, I got bored one spring, saw Fiddlers green site, saw there models , linked out to PMI, saw a wonderland of card models, saw my favourite aircraft, the SBD Dauntless (angel of midway), and put her together. Here she is my "first" (commercial kit).

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 187
C

cgutzmer

Man, well you could have put something that was similar to what your "real" first was ;) I am currently building my first purchased kit and my real firsts are long gone but they were all off this site - cars mostly with a couple buildings

http://papertoys.com/
Chris

Ashrunner

Sep 26, 2005
Redmond, Oregon
My first model was the Barn Owl bird kit. I messed up the head a little and was going to toss the thing when I looked out my window at our bird feeding station. The Black-billed Magpies were chasing the chickadees and finches away from the feed...so I hit on an idea. Use the messed up model as a sort of "scarecow." I put the Barn Owl out by the feeders on a branch and waited. Chickadees and finches returned...Magpies didn't. It worked well until it rained one night about 10 weeks later. And as everyone knows, white glue and paper don't hold up well to drizzle rain when not treated. 8v)

paper warrior

Sep 25, 2006
Lake Hellvasu, AZ
Mine was ripped up by a fellow (yeah right) classmate,it was the B-29 from FG.
I also build the Paper Paradise Mig-15 and flew it on to the roof, I washed out parts of it on the ground about a month later.

milenio3

Aug 25, 2004
Juarez, Mexico
paperjerry.blogspot.com
Mine was a model for kids of the Cassini Space Probe, now in the orbit of Saturn. It was 2004, and as I follow (or try at least) to keep up with space related issues, I found a model of the spacecraft here. I printed it on bond paper.

My kid and I built it, and we just loved it!! Then I went for the challenging model... same spaceship, same link, more details... still an easy one.

f82e7d08.jpg

In the photo, my kid pretends the spaceship arrives at Saturn.
The model eventually dissolved in the cosmos of my children's room.

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Good Modelling Company

Gerardo, you lucky man,

I wish I had a young son to build paper models with. My teenage daughters are not that interested in Daddy´s paper models.

Although I have to admit that a while ago, my youngest daughter (13) and I built a rather nice 'science' model from the Canon Papercraft page that shows all the time zones of the world - you just turn an outer paper cylinder against an inner one and you get a direct read-out time on a disc below. She was rather amazed by it and took it to her Geography class in school, where it was duly admired.

My first paper model was given to me by my father when I was in my lower teens. It was the German wood & stone house of the 16th century painter Albrecht Dürer, in Nuremberg. It´s probably buried somewhere deep in a box up in the attic. I´ll have to look for it some day.

Best,
Bengt :roll:

PS. I think I´ll have a shot at the Cassini-Huygens model myself some day, too . . .

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
First model

3 tank engines from Micromodels when I was about 9 they were more successful than my balsa and tissue planes they lasted longer as well. Stopped around 15. Built Bismark and Prinz Eugen and a couple of liners from Wilhelmshaven about 32 then lost touch with paper models because nobody sold them in the UK. Long gap until I found Digital Navy on the net then I was hooked again. I never had any success with plastic models.