Your favorite train movie?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by sometrainguy, Jan 6, 2007.

1. sometrainguy

sometrainguy New Member

Hey everyone,

I just watched The Great Train Robbery on tv starring Sean Connery last night, pretty good movie and its based on a true story of the first train robbery ever in England.

What are your favorite train movies? :)

2. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

I would have to say Runaway Train or End of the Line.
  3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

My favorite is definetly Breakheart Pass with Charles Bronson.:D
  4. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I like Union Pacific.

Lots of scenes of the JW Bowker and some 4-4-0 (don't remember which one). I also liked the opening prologue...George Lucas stole the opening texts for Star Wars from the opening texts of Union Pacific as the train travelled down the tracks.
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

The General (silent), with Buster Keaton.

6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

The Train with Burt Lancaster, set in WWII occupied France. Great action, great suspense and lots of "inside" info on train running.

Emperor of the North with Ernest Borgnine as the sadistic conductor and Lee Marvin and Keith Carradine as two 1930's hobo's trying to ride his train.

7. TexDoc

TexDoc Member

A Toss-up

My two favoites are Bad Day At Black Rock and Silver Streak. The opening shots in BDABR of the F Units racing across the desert with the articulated Daylight cars in tow is worth a few rewinds. And then the ending when the train stops and we get some great close-ups.
    Flip the coin and Sliver Streak shares the top spot.
  8. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

Hard to say :confused: I like any movie thats about trains! :thumb:
    I like the original Silver Streak, Danger Lights, and one of my all time favs is The Train.
    Another movie thats kinda neat to watch just for the scenery is Runaway Ski Train. Some really nice shots of the D&RGW. Emperor of the North is another excellent movie.
  9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

"Von Ryan's Express":thumb:
  10. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

I love that move also

[​IMG]hands off the loco! -Buster Keaton
  11. doctorwayne

I forgot about this one: I also give it :thumb: :thumb: .

12. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I like the opening sequence of Silver Streak because you get to see an F unit control stand at work. Runaway Train has its grim moments but lots of inside the cab scenes.
    What was that Disney film with Fess Parker about the attempt to steal a Confederate locomotive? I recall enjoying it as a teen.
  13. doctorwayne

Ralph, I think it was called The Great Locomotive Chase. It was based on the Buster Keaton film "The General", which in turn was based on Andrew's Raid, during the Civil War.

14. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

I saw that Scifi movie "Atomic Train" It was ok. I love that movie the great locomotive chase, It's one of my favorites.
  15. railohio

railohio Active Member

"The Station Agent"
  16. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

Another good one is , if I remember it right:confused: , Switchback.
  17. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Without a doubt it would be "The General" by Buster Keaton. The movie is one long locomotive chase. It has some great shots of the locomotives and it is a very funny movie.
  18. trainwhiz20

trainwhiz20 Member

No one has mentioned Under Seige II? :eek:

I like the movie because the fictional train is very well executed and kept constant, unlike in Runaway Train where one moment the lead would be a F unit, the next moment a Geep. lol. It also combines some great action scenes with the train. A must see for train buffs due to the fact its a very high-budgeted movie all taking place on a train!

My other favorite would have to be Wilder/Pryor's Silver Streak in the 70s. Why? Because it was rated one of the funniest movies of all time and the movie is well executed. A classic comedy that to this day has no competition in the train category--and it's a great train movie!
  19. Saddletank

Saddletank New Member

UK Entries

2 movies from my childhood,

First is 'oh Mr Porter' set in 1930's Rural Southern Ireland, misfit railroad station master is shunted to an out of the way location where he canno cause trouble. Basic comedy and great branch line Railroading.

Second would be 'Ghost train' Mainline station fogged in and passengers stranded. A murder mystery comedy in 1930's style. Complete with ghost train, scared me to death as a young kid.

PS North American would be 'The General' and Canadian 'Railroader' again with Buster Keaton.
  20. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Another Buster Keaton one is Our Hospitality which has a hilariously impossible railway trip (Stephenson's Rocket from the east coast to Kentucky).