Your favorite printer poll

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by cgutzmer, Jun 11, 2007.

1. jawl

jawl New Member

At home I have a HP 3550, I will have to replace it as I dont think its up to the task but it do to start with.

I work for a Digital Print company so I also have use of a Canon C7000VP Digital Colour Printer.
  2. rowiac

rowiac Member

I don't know how I missed this thread the first time, but since someone bumped it, I guess I'll put in my 2 cents.

I had an Epson Stylus Photo 750 a few years ago. It made excellent prints--when it didn't clog. The clogging was either due to the Epson print head technology not being up to the occasional use I gave it, or the refill ink I was using. In any case, the 5 tiny reservoirs in the color ink cartridge were a pain to refill--it was a 6-color printer--and most of the ink was used in cleaning cycles. It cost me $260 and I sold it at a garage sale for $7. Oh well...for that price I should have thrown it off a cliff.

I replaced it with a Canon i960 6-color photo printer, which has worked pretty much flawlessly. It also has 6 separate cartridges that are easy to refill and the print quality seems to be on par with the Epson.

At work I have an HP Photosmart something-or-other. I use it once every several weeks, and it has never given me a problem in several years.

3. N. Charles Hann

N. Charles Hann New Member

a few years back i found out that the ink tanks cost approx. 75 cents each. if you buy in lots of 100 each. there for i do not feel bad that i purchase ink cartridges from other that the company that makes the printer. it is rather like the "Gillette razors" they all but give away the razors, cost wise, but make their profit from the blades. i even tried the "fill your own" cartridges, but being such a coordinated slob, gave that up rather quickly.
  4. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

i like using the HP Color LaserJet 1600 Printer at work
    it works awesome
    i am going to save up and buy my own for home

as for cis systems
    im using one on my hp system at home and it works very well and
    i think it has the same quality

hope that answers your question

5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I've always used inkjet because of the flaking problems I had with laser prints... Epson Stylus C43 was my model printer for 4 years now.
  6. I have a HP 1350 all in one, never had a problem, bit expensive on the ink, but my Dr. Zarkov 'Flying Pancake' is starting to fade on one side, so last month I bought me a nice big A3 Canon Pixma iX 4000, with 4 separate inkcardriges, they claim the ink will last at least 80 year, so we'll see...
    Cheers Billy
  7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I don't know about my favorite, but I'm using an HP Colorjet 5100 All-In-One and haven't had any issues with it so far. My wife actually specced it out to do photo's / scrapbooking stuff and I've taken over using her ink now and again for paper models and no complaints so far.

NULLMOON Member

i currently using a cannon mp160 scanner/printer which is by far the best in quality and will print on anything i care to shove in it and the ink is very strong and dosent degrade the scanner only goes up to 600 dpi which is fine for models any more and it starts to pick up paper textures before this i had a lexmark which was OKish( cartriges hugely overpriced)and a load of epsons which consitantly s**t themseves at the worst possible times(eg essay due in next morning) and only lasted about 10 months eachwall1
  9. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

I also have a HP 5100......its slowly dieing a terrible death! Watch for the rollers to start squeaking on the left as you look at it. Theres no way i can see to lubricate them either? Mine has almost progressed to a gringing noise-wont be long now. I also notice that at walmart these printers are half the price i paid! A problem? What i want is a printer that will print on the usual 8.5X11 but also larger size paper like 11X17? Any ideas short of a architechs plotter?