Your favorite printer poll

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by cgutzmer, Jun 11, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey all!
    I know we have had a couple threads on this topic before but I think a poll would help sum it all up!

I want to know what types of printers you like (you can vote for more than one) If you found it to be exceptional for any reason please post why - If you had a printer and it royally stunk for some reason - post that too :)
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

HP all the way, from PhotoRetIII technology to the current crop of printers
  3. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I love my Epson Stylus Photo R220 inkjet. I have never had clogged jets (yet) This has produced very consistent colors even when printing between cartridge changes - I have never used refurbished or refilled my own cartridges either. I pretty much only print maps to get places and my card models on here.

I also get laser prints on a Xerox Phaser 7750. That works quite well although I do get occasional streaking on the xerox when printing large fields of single colors.
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Just got a Canon Pixie Ixmar thingie (stupid names...) 4300 which is proving to be very capable; doesn't jam, hasn't clogged (yet) unlike most of my recent Epsons. 'Ah, but sir has been printing with it, hasn't he...' I was told in the shop when I complained! and it prints on both sides of the paper. And the cartridges blink at you when they are hungry!

6. David H

David H Member

They are all the work of the Devil. I voted other because I would prefer if someone OTHER than me did the printing!

I have never owned one that didn't go wrong, ate my money and generally got underused and then retired to a cupboard.

If I lived nearer to the ocean I would put them in a sack with some rocks and throw them off a cliff.

I do not like PRINTERS!

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Heh heh david - very good answer and understandable! I love the prints I had done at officemax. THey used a xerox workcenter 420. Only problem was if I didnt have that free coupon the 25 prints would have cost me 24 bucks.
  8. sergiotang95

sergiotang95 Member

I want a laser printer, but I don't have that much money (sigh). Oh well, my inkjets will just have to do.
  9. David H

David H Member

The office A3 HP Photosmart is OK.

When I use a lot of ink for a kit I buy the office new supplies of tea and coffee. A sort of pagan offering to the great and vengeful god of printers.

Thankfully its a small office!

10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I'm with Chris, Epson r220, never had any problems and the cd/dvd printing is cool.
  11. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I use HP printers most of the time, Epsons sometimes. Haven't had any problems yet.:)
  12. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Canon for me. Epson always got clogged (which might not be an issue now since I'm doing so much modelling :) ). Lexmark made a mess no matter how careful I was refilling it. Don't like the way HP curls the paper around the path (which stinks for perforated paper) and had a Minolta that would print test pages but nothing else. Go fig.
  13. Millimodels

Millimodels Member

If you don't use the printer very often then I think that an HP printer is the way to go to limit the problems with clogging. I would prefer to use an Epson with the long life expensive ink but they don't seem to have one that also prints onto printable CDs.

Robin Madge
  14. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

I've got a Canon Pixma 4210, but am ready to pitch it. The feed mechanism died a few months ago and was replaced under warranty. Since then, it won't feed anywhere near reliably.
  15. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I'm printing at Office Depot in this part of the border, and they have an excelent Xerox DocuColor. Sharp, bright... expensive, yes... but beautiful.

Otherwise HP and Lexmark do the job.
  16. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Epsons are okay if you print all the time; if not forget it. Mine always clogged.:cry:
    I had an HP and it performed flawlessly regardless of how often I used it.
    I just got a Brother DCP - 130C multifunction printer (highly rated in all the online reviews I've seen) which has excellent printout quality, and I hope to use it often enough so it doesn't dry up.

I'd rather have a laser, but the prices on those need to move just a tad lower.

17. col

col Member

HP photosmart P1000, iv had it a few years and never had a problem yet,iv done it now:)

18. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

My Epson printed awesome prints but once it clogged it was a $200 paper weight.
    I now have a Canon Pixma MP500. It prints flawlessly (unless one of the ink tanks is empty and you ignore the warning :roll:). The ink is cheaper than my epson was and it uses 5 ink tanks instead of only 2. I really like the 5 ink tank system, if my yellow runs out but my blue is still half full I only have to spend $14 to replace it instead of spending $50+ to replace it and throw out the half full blue and red.
    The canon has sat for over 3 weeks without even being turned on and still prints perfectly with no clogs. The epson sat for 2 days without printing and clogged up so bad it was unbelievable. Would have cost more to fix it than to buy a new one.
    The only other brand I have used is a lexmark at my mother in laws house and frankly my 3 year old could finger paint better than it printed out. Although I will admit I have no idea how long it had set without printing, what the level of ink in the tanks was, or its history. It was only 3 months old though.
  19. hpept

hpept Member

So far, I've used two Epson and one HP.
    First I got an old glorious Stylus Color II, never had problems with it till it was disposed for reached age limit. Then I bought Stylus Photo 810, great quality compared to the previous, but had clogging problems a couple of times. Very costly to refurbish it. Finally, I used an HP 1315 multifunction. Quality is lower than Epson, speed is better, but what really sucks is software drivers. HP simply is not able to make decent drivers, as I´m experiencing drivers problems also with a Laserjet 3050 that i´m using at work. If I had to buy a new printer, I would be very doubtful right now. I would like to try a Canon, but it´s not easy to find down here.
  20. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

I threw out our Epson which clogged even though we were using it quite often (a page at least every day or two). My mum gave me her Epson which she didn't use. Guess what? Clogged! Couldn't get it to work dispite taking it apart and soaking the head in alcohol. Got a Canon Pixma somthing. Prints nice, but we are still on our first cartridge, so it's early days yet. I noticed the print head came as a replaceable part!

In the office they replaced the old HP colour laser with an HP 5550dtn which uses a plastic ink instead of the old traditional wax inks. Colours look nice, but it's awful for modelling as the ink tends to flake off into dust when bent. This a) ruins black parts that have to be curved tightly; b) coats everything in dust so that the glue won't stick; and c) sticks to your fingers and gets smudged onto the white parts.

Canon's A320 is turning out a decidedly grey instead of an elegant black and white!:roll: