Your favorite model railroad injury ?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
My "OWIE" happend with a pair of sharp nosed sissors. I can't even remember what I was using the point to dig into but managed to dig it into the index finger of my left hand. The point went in under the nail about a half inch. I pulled it out, went to the bathroom to run cold water on it then passed out and banged my head on the toilet. All I got from that was a loud laugh from the better half. She is a nurse, retired now, and has seen it all.

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Been away for a week and just came across this thread. I MAY have the topper for this cake....
1999: I'm relocating across state and am in the process of dismanteling and packing up my RR. I decide to not keep the masonite backdrop and burn it in my 55 gal. drum trash barrel in the back yard. It's raining and I can't get the fire lit. I, in my infinate wisdom, decide that a quart of Coleman's lantern fuel couldn't hurt. Right?
In goes the fuel, in goes a match......FOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!! A mini Hiroshima in the back yard. I'm laying on my back in the mud staring at the sky as burning pieces of garbage and masonite are falling down all around me as well as smoldering leaves from a nearby tree. As I stagger, dazed into the house, I have wisps of smoke curling off my head and my wife is standing in the kitchen with her jaw hitting the floor. I'm directed to go into the bathroom and look in the mirror as my eyebrows and mustache are mostly gone and the rest of my hair is singed and stinking.
Never will I live that one down as my wife has since informed all our friends and family how ridiculous I truly am!! :rolleyes: :) :rolleyes: :)

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I've had a few encounters with the Dreaded XActo knife, of course, but the most bizarre instance happened just the other week. I was working on a paper model of the British R-100 airship when I somehow cut an L-shaped scar on the side of my right index finger. I cannot figure out how I managed to do it...

I have several near misses dodging falling knives, too.

But my "favorite" injury happened about a year ago while I was working on a plastic building. I was using a tube of CA that was clogged. I worked diligently to get the tip unclogged, and was applying pressure to the tube when POP! the tube split open, spilling CA glue all over my left hand. All of my fingers except my pinky were glued to my thumb!

My wife called her mother who rushed over with a bottle of nail polish remover...which boldly proclaimed the fact that it did not contain acetone. So, my wife had to run to Walmart and get the right kind. Meanwhile, I sat at home feeling rather silly with my fingers all stuck together.

Voice

Mar 2, 2001
central Iowa
Visit site
The dreaded X-Acto knife, again!!

I'm cutting a piece of sheet styrene for a building, cutting a straight line along the side of my metal rule. No problems there. Only, in the process of holding the rule down with my left hand, I find out the hard way that I've got a finger sticking out over the edge. Only a small amount of skin went away...but I think about it now when I cut against any straightedge!!!

I hope The Gummint isn't monitoring this thread, next thing you know, your LHS will start carrying required safety gear for mrr's:
Helmet, face shield, fire suit, steel shank boots, and aerial harnesses for the guys with shelf layouts!!!:D :D

I gotta admit, Matt, the 55 gal air-fuel bomb is the topper!!

All kiddin' aside though, eye protection is a must.....Most of us probably wear glasses any way, considerin' our median age...

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Matt!

You get the Stan and Oli prize! Wait a sec, lemme pick myself off the floor, ....there. Back in my seat so i can type.

Thanks Matt, Made my day so far.

Ted

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Oh yes,....and Woodie, If i ever have to defuse a bomb, i want you on my team. No accidents?!?!?!?

My poor hands look like Dr. Frank-N-Furter made them. Been making models since i was 7, and been abusin' my hands exacto-ly the same amount of time. Have a deep and abiding respect for CA glue. I KNOW one day, I will glue my eyeball shut. It’s just a matter of time. And I wear glasses!

Waiting,
Ted

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
No matter what kind project I'm working on, I always end up with broken, bleeding skin somewhere. I usually don't notice until I have to stop and think, where did that blood come from? Aren't busted knuckles just a way of life?? lol I've sunk a few xactos into my hands, ground a nice corner off the end of my finger on a bench grinder, cut the top of the knuckle off my thumb with a pruning saw (that was a REALLY dumb one). But being the tomboygirl that I am, I just rinse it off, wrap it up tight and go back to work...LOL :D

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
This happened a while before my railroad days, but at the age of about 16 I was an electronics expert (wasn't everybody an expert at something or other at that age). :D I had picked up the habit of putting tools or whatever I was working on in my mouth instead of laying it down for a moment when I was going to need it again right away, kind of like having a third hand. One day I was wiring up something for for the telephone (don't ask me what, it was too long ago) I had the bare phone line in my hand and needed to use a screwdriver. Without thinking I put the phone line in my mouth. Up until that point I really hadn't given much thought to the voltage that runs through telephone lines, even when no one is on the phone. Needless to say I have never used my mouth as a third hand since. :)