Your Favorite HO Scale Manufacturer?

Your Favorite HO Scale Manufacturer?

• Total voters

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Good morning George,--- I didn't know that Atlas doesn't do steam engines, still a lot to learn when your still pretty new to the hobby. I only have two diesels at present, so most of my experience has been with the steam.
On a deal like this poll, I try not to make too heavy of a statement because I need to be sure I know what I'm talking about first. I'm in my mid 60's, built several complex RC scale boats, had a decent gun collection, collected exotic imported knives for awhile, but I got to tell you, nothing has ever captured my imagination and interest like these trains. They are pretty cool!
John

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
I like usin Athearn trains because there reliable and they have a little more detail. I also like them because you can find them at just about any LHS:thumb: . I do however like LifeLike's Proto2000 stuff to, but I have to get it off the Net.

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Way to forget Walthers.

And Rivarossi, because although they're out of business they have some of the most beautiful stuff ever.

I voted Athearn because that's the only one ON THERE that I own anything of!

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Walthers did buy the "Life-Like" name along with the Proto (P1K, P2K) train line and other toy products made by the old LL.

However, it seems that they have stopped using the "Life-Like" name with the high end
P1K, P2K train line - the current flyer reads "New Products from Walthers" followed by P2K steamers and diesels.

The flyer and their web site still shows "Life-Like Racing" and "Life-Like from Walthers" train sets, but IMHO, Spawn is right - Walthers the name one should now use for the high end P1K & P2K products.

Besides, their older train line had some good runners in it (the F40PH, for example), so "Walthers" should have been included in the list even if LL was still around!

ESE999

I grew up with Life-Like. I Loved their trains and they work very well. I've never had to take a life-like locomotive back to the store. Bachmann would be my last choice. I've never bought a Bachmann locomotive that I didn't have to return to the store. They're just too fragile.
Lionel's making HO again? Maybe they'll learn from their mistakes.

darkcurves

Feb 5, 2007
Wow, cant believe Kato is forth most fav. What is it about Athearn that's appealing to Gauge members? Price, quality? (never had a Athearn loco before)

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Kato isn't that great, i mostly have to complain about their headlights, and that they are louder than i thought.

Athearn is cheap, but its versatile, rugged, and can be modified into just about anything easily. if you want a kato-eque locomotive, you can easily customize an athearn to match these standards. if you just want the train, there it is, for cheaper than ususual.

darkcurves

Feb 5, 2007
Interesting, in N scale world it's opposite. Well i guess i have to get an Athearn loco to give it a try.

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
vanda32547 said:
Since I just ordered my first Broadway Limited Steam Locomotive but haven't received it yet, I think this will end up being my favorite :D from everything I've read and heard from fellow model railroaders. I can't wait to see and hear it operate on my DCC layout. :)

Regards,

What type of BLI steamer did you order? I ordered a Heavy Mikado from Trainworld. They said it would arrive in 30-60 days. :rolleyes: Is yours on backorder too?

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I'd really like to see some new-tooling steam engine kit production, preferably from the turn of the century.

With the demise of Hobbytown of Boston, ne Bear Locomotive Works, Bowser is the last mainstream kit manufacturer standing. And they do make excellent locomotives.

hd8091

May 20, 2004
For Steam I favor the P2K's. For Ditzels it is a tossup between Stewart, or Intermountian .
Tom

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
Kato, without hesitation. I think Atlas locomotives are excellent & own a bunch of them, but Kato's detail is just outstanding. I like Proto 2000 (when I don't get one with cracked gears :evil: ) for the detail/price ratio, too. How's that for equivocal?